Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Steering shaft issues

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2010, 8:50 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Did they say anything about a new design shaft?
Old November 16th, 2010, 7:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as i know, they placed the same thing back in - just brand new. here is the part number they used: 25809424

anyone have the ability to look that number up? i do not.
Old November 20th, 2010, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

Update: Had the intermediate steering shaft replaced, no more noise or feeling the "clunk" at all. Feels very tight. As far as I know, they put the same style back in, obviously just a brand new one. Same part # Brandon has listed above.

Side note: The rear engine area oil leak that they thought may be an out-put shaft seal leak was only a oil pan gasket leak. They also installed an AFM oil deflector because the engine is starting to burn oil, they did not clean out the cylinders as the bulletin recommends because the carbon was not that bad. I'll have to keep an eye on the oil consumption to see if the rings are shot. The dealer I use is not repalcing pistons and rings if it gets to that point, only doing new engines.
Old November 20th, 2010, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Steering shaft and oil pan gasket comment

I just had the steering shaft on my 2000 Yukon replaced, after only 189,000 miles, lol. The bumpy, clunky steering won't hurt anything, I was just tired of putting up with it after all these years. And I just gave the Yukon to my daughter so I thought it would be a nice thing to do for her.

And yes, I definitely had the runaround with the oil leak also. When I replaced the transmission at 145K, I thought it would be a good idea to do the rear main seal also. Unfortunately my mechanic didn't have the special tool that inserts and lines up the seal, so it made a tiny leak very bad. We finally got the Chevy dealership to lend him the tool and he put in a new seal and all was fine there...but I still had an oil leak! Turns out it was the oil pan gasket. It was probably the oil pan gasket all along, if I would have known how technique sensitive it was to install the new rear main seal, I would have left it alone when we did the new transmission.
Old November 21st, 2010, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Wouldn't he have to drop the pan to do the rear main seal and therefore have to replace the pan gasket?
Old November 21st, 2010, 7:20 AM
CF Beginner

what is: AFM oil deflector?
Old November 21st, 2010, 8:40 PM
Administrator

It's the Air Fuel Modulator. Keeps the Muffler Bearings dry. JK

I have no idea. Wondered the same thing myself.
Old November 21st, 2010, 9:30 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
Wouldn't he have to drop the pan to do the rear main seal and therefore have to replace the pan gasket?
No you do not need to remove the pan.
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Brandon2007Tahoe
what is: AFM oil deflector?

Brandon, It stands for "Active Fuel Management". Basically, if your not familiar with it, it enables a V6 or V8 to run on 4 cyinders when 8 are not needed. I'm not 100% sure the purpose of the deflector but here's my take on it. The deflector they add prevents the oil from reaching or spraying to a certain area of the internal working parts of the engine. I believe the issue is when the oil is sprayed (as normal lubrication) up to the bottom of the cylinders that are not being used when AFM is on, it creates a state when the cylinders are/may be cooler and allow for carbon build up ( above/below the cylinder, not sure) and slowly degrade the rings. Thus resulting in increased oil consumtion and in less common cases, the need to replace pistons/rings. This deflector is around $3.00, haven't seen it in person.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

liecheck: many thanks! now...how do i convince my dealer i need this installed?! i'm guessing it is not an official recall.

Quick Reply: Steering shaft issues