Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Steering shaft issues

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2009, 4:03 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Steering shaft issues

This issue of having a bump/clunk while turning my Tahoe at low speeds has reared its ugly head again. The first time I brought it to the dealer while it was still under warranty and the technician said its a design flaw where the grease moves away from somewhere in the shaft and causes this issue when I turn the steering wheel while sitting still or at really low speeds. He then said its not a safety issue, what he did do at that time was take out the shaft inspect it and installed it back, and when i took the car off the lot after i got it back, the issue was gone, and has been gone until a few days ago. Now my Tahoe is out of warranty, I'm going to bring it back and see what they are willing to do about it. But I was just wondering if anyone else out there had this issue, and get some suggestions about what I should do? I just dont feel safe driving it around like that, even though the tech said its not a safety issue, ya know? Thanks for any help.
Old January 17th, 2009, 6:41 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a common problem for gm cars and trucks. Depending on the model you relube the shaft or replace it. The tsb for the tahoe has been updated to replace the shaft instead of lubing it. At my shop we see this pronlem atleast every other month.
Old January 17th, 2009, 8:15 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Just took my wife's '04 Tahoe in for that problem and they said the intermediate coupling has been redesigned and they put the new one in. Expecting about $150-$250 bill, was pleased when they said it was done free as customer satisfaction for a known issue. While I bought my '07 from them, hers came from Carmax.
Old January 18th, 2009, 7:28 PM
CF Senior Member

Wow, lets hope I get the same love when I bring it in. I have paperwork from when I first brought it in to my local dealership. We'll see what happens. Thanks everyone for your responses.
Old January 18th, 2009, 7:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
It is a common problem for gm cars and trucks. Depending on the model you relube the shaft or replace it. The tsb for the tahoe has been updated to replace the shaft instead of lubing it. At my shop we see this pronlem atleast every other month.
MDTAHOE, when did this updated TSB come out. Hopefully recently, I would probably have a better chance to get this issue fixed free. Im in central VA, what dealership do you run? If youre willing to fix it, I might just make the drive up there! jk.
Old January 18th, 2009, 8:44 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Sorry I do not work at a dealer. I work at a independent shop owned by Pat Goss the guy from motorweek and Goss' Garage on news channel 8 and on WJFK 106.7 FM. Where are you located? If the dealer wants you to pay I maybe able to beat their price.
Old January 19th, 2009, 7:41 PM
CF Senior Member

I am located in central VA, a town called Culpeper. I havent been to the dealer yet, I'll try to talk with them and see what they'll do. Ultimate goal is to get it replaced free of charge. They may be willing if I pound away the fact that I did bring it in while under warranty and they told me nothing can be done about it.

Trending Topics

Old January 19th, 2009, 8:39 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

The loudest gear gets the grease or something like that. If you use the dealer regularly they may actually do it no problem with out a fight.
Old October 25th, 2010, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm having this issue on my 07 tahoe. is that possible or did they completely redesign the thing in 07? thanks.
Old October 25th, 2010, 9:36 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

NBS was redesigned.

Quick Reply: Steering shaft issues