Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

stereo amp draining battery

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2013, 2:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stereo amp draining battery

Alright, so 2001 suburban has been going through batteries for some time, If i ever let it sit longer than 24 hrs the batt would be dead, finally with the newest one it just couldn't keep a charge on it, took it in had battery checked, charging system checked, all good, so they go and look for the draw, they found it and said that it is a draw from the amp in the stereo, so they pulled the fuse and the draw stopped. They are not a stereo repair shop so i am sent on my way with the stereo fuse pulled. I have no sound, but buttons and clock on radio still work, it is the stock stereo system. SO my question is, is the amp separate from the stereo component, if they pulled the fuse then why do i still have the clock and stuff? I am just wondering how its all put together in there, any schematics available? Does it sound like i am looking at replacing the whole stereo component if i want tunes?
Old January 16th, 2013, 7:10 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I take that it's the factory amp?
If not you only need to add a relay between that fused power line to something that is only on when the Acc or ignition is on....
If its factory then the amp needs to be looked at...
Old January 16th, 2013, 11:02 AM
CF Monarch

Received 341 Likes on 322 Posts

The reason the clock still works is that there are 2 power lines going to the radio. One is on all the time to keep the memory and clock when the radio is turned off and the other goes on when the key is turned on. The easiest way to fix it is to get a new one. In the long it would be cheaper unless you can fix it yourself.
Old January 16th, 2013, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
The reason the clock still works is that there are 2 power lines going to the radio. One is on all the time to keep the memory and clock when the radio is turned off and the other goes on when the key is turned on. The easiest way to fix it is to get a new one. In the long it would be cheaper unless you can fix it yourself.
That is what I am thinking. Sadly batterry was weak again this morning. Supposeably there isn't a draw
Anymore so I guess I am off for another battery check