Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 12:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Strange "check engine oil level" phenomenon.

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2014, 11:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
I drive a ford myself. depending on the time you post it can be off the front page in hours and no one would even see it. If you think people are ignoring you...your paranoid. Sorry, but I can't lurk 24hours on this forum hoping to help every poster...I have a life outside this forum. If you unhappy with the response go to a pay site and talk to a licensed chevy mechanic. the only thing that will set that code is low oil level or a fault in the oil level circuit system....gaskets play no part in an electronic diagnostic system. Your repair post will send people down a wrong road.
No worries. I actually had a burning oil problem. Like i said in my earlier post, the vortec leaks from 3 main places. Now tat statement should already point u towards a "possible leak". And I did mention later tat I had a leak out the valve cover gaskets. If u also review my picture and the album, I do have other pictures tat show the original gasket. It actually changed color. Original and never been changed.

I understand tat y'all have a life. So do I. However, when u consider the silence in the chronological timeline, there's absolutely no indication whatsoever tat anybody knows or don't know anything. Hence, I'm forced to wonder. An idle mind is the devil's playground. How would anyone expect me to think otherwise when there's no response?

Of cos I'm forced to look elsewhere. I'm glad I found the solution because it's been a full 3000 miles and no error message at all. Before when I had the problem, all the oil would get burned up after 1000 miles.

Btw, I've already changed the oil level sensor more than 3 times. I've changed the pigtail connector too. I've also changed the oil pressure sending unit too. All is well now.

Dom
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by trainwreck91
Hey dom. I don't think people were ignoring you. Maybe they just couldn't help you. And didn't want to chime in. I used to drive a ford. I don't discriminate based on what you drive. I don't think anyone else should either. To go as far as calling this forum useless is wrong. Yeah I know. Sometimes it takes forever to get a response. But I've gotten great info and great help from here. I'm glad you came back to update the solution to your issue. That's what makes forums work.
I'm sorry. I probably got carried away with emotions but I was just being honest. Look from the beginning of my thread and put urself in my shoes. I needed an answer. Any sort of answer. I didn't even get a response tat nobody knew my problem. Nobody even asked my symptoms. I mean y'all are supposed to have more experience than me. So y'all should be able to ask the right questions, right?

Again, let me reiterate. I was just being honest and speaking my mind. If I made a wrong statement, I'd be the first to retract tat and make amends but I'm just going by the evidence and facts.

I had to go elsewhere to look for answers. I didn't even have anyone come on to tell me they don't know wat the f**k I'm talking about. Or ask me to explain. Or even suggest anything.

I'm sorry but I'm very thorough. Even asking questions. I ask as much questions as I type on here. I'm longwinded but tats becos I'm paranoid tat I may have left a stone unturned. I never leave a person until his problem is resolved. I'm former military. It's wat I do. Lol.

So once again, I apologize to those who may have been offended but I speak my mind with honesty. Being former military, it's a habit tat I don't sugarcoat. But I'll do my best if there are sensitive folks.

Thanks for being patient with a grumpy bag like me.

Dom
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:14 AM
CF Junior Member

OMG! Its hard to diagnose a problem over the phone, over the net, over the air......over anywhere...... Just ask any mechanic.....they don't like to talk to ppl over the phone because its hard to diagnose a problem when most of the time they are only getting part of the full information without actually seeing the car....

Forums only work when correct and full information is provided, when ppl actually have time to comment, and when ppl actually have something to contribute......

Forums are a lot like computers.......garbage going in = garbage coming out.......good data in = good information coming out.

What appears to be the problem or culprit of your "check engine oil level" warning light is....there was a technical short between the dipstick and the dipstick holder tube....

BTW - My Chevy leaks a little from the valve covers but in 180k miles, I have never had a "check engine oil level" warning light come on. (I'm knocking on wood!!!!)

Thanks for the update on the fix for the problem with your Tahoe. BTW- My wife drives a Hyundai.....I make sure to check her oil level, coolant level, tire pressure, etc. My wife doesn't know how many times I have checked those things for her. My wife is a very intelligent woman but she knows very little about cars and proper maintenance of cars. So I check her car regularly........maybe thats why she doesn't get that pesky "check engine oil level" warning light......

Happy driving to you sir!
Old February 27th, 2014, 8:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Hi Snuggyworm, nice description of the problem, specially were the oil leaks on the 5.7 engine. I getting to know more every time I get in the forum, as I never had a Suburban before and, in the country I live (Brazil, I do not like here!), there are only 6 2004 Z71, so it's hard to get information about it.
Best regards,
Old February 27th, 2014, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by '03 Heavy Chevy
OMG! Its hard to diagnose a problem over the phone, over the net, over the air......over anywhere...... Just ask any mechanic.....they don't like to talk to ppl over the phone because its hard to diagnose a problem when most of the time they are only getting part of the full information without actually seeing the car.... Forums only work when correct and full information is provided, when ppl actually have time to comment, and when ppl actually have something to contribute...... Forums are a lot like computers.......garbage going in = garbage coming out.......good data in = good information coming out. What appears to be the problem or culprit of your "check engine oil level" warning light is....there was a technical short between the dipstick and the dipstick holder tube.... BTW - My Chevy leaks a little from the valve covers but in 180k miles, I have never had a "check engine oil level" warning light come on. (I'm knocking on wood!!!!) Thanks for the update on the fix for the problem with your Tahoe. BTW- My wife drives a Hyundai.....I make sure to check her oil level, coolant level, tire pressure, etc. My wife doesn't know how many times I have checked those things for her. My wife is a very intelligent woman but she knows very little about cars and proper maintenance of cars. So I check her car regularly........maybe thats why she doesn't get that pesky "check engine oil level" warning light...... Happy driving to you sir!
Yes sir. I'm glad to be of service. After 180k, if it leaks a little, tats normal. Mine was excessive. After 1000 miles, just about 6 qts was burned up.

I'm glad I found the solution. So far so good. It's a good thing ur doing for ur wife. Tat will guarantee ur spot in the bedroom. Lol. I'm still working on teaching my wife about both our cars.

Dom
Old February 27th, 2014, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Sergio Lisboa Machado
Hi Snuggyworm, nice description of the problem, specially were the oil leaks on the 5.7 engine. I getting to know more every time I get in the forum, as I never had a Suburban before and, in the country I live (Brazil, I do not like here!), there are only 6 2004 Z71, so it's hard to get information about it. Best regards,
Ur very welcome sir. I try to be as thorough as possible because everybody reads these forums for info. Mine is a 5.3 vortec but I guess it's about the same as the 5.7 vortec. It's a great motor. Easy maintenance as well. Definitely less issues than my ford f-350. Tat one has the problematic 6.0 motor. I'm almost at tat stage to get her studded.

Have a great day!

Dom
Old February 27th, 2014, 9:05 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I still don't understand what the problem was. You get the low oil message, check the level and it's fine, and the problem is leaky valve cover gaskets?

And, on top of that, you come back on here to slam people because you think no one helped because you drive a Ford?
Old February 27th, 2014, 9:16 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
I still don't understand what the problem was. You get the low oil message, check the level and it's fine, and the problem is leaky valve cover gaskets? And, on top of that, you come back on here to slam people because you think no one helped because you drive a Ford?
No sir. I checked the oil level and it's almost gone. I found the leak eventually.

Dom
Old February 27th, 2014, 9:21 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey dom, i read a lot of these posts. even the ones for years that differ from my vehicle. if i can help out in anyway, i'll chime in or give an opinion. but if i have absolutely no clue, i won't post and leave it to the next guy. we're not all techs on here. myself just mechanically inclined! i'm in my mid 30's but have owned numerous cars since 16. (i'm a car guy fo'real)! I hate mechanics because of the rap or perception i get from them sometimes. I know a guys gotta eat but i feel like they overcharge. Not only that, but whenever i used to take a car to a mechanic, SOMETIMES the issue would get fixed but all of a sudden a new issue would arise. So i started fixing my own. Atleast I know it was done right. And these forums have been a great help for me.
I can also understand your frustration, but i'ts not the members or the forums fault, You make it seem as though there was some prejudice against you. I'm not military but I'm like that...leave no man behind. was former law enforcement...so i can dig it! Anyway bygones be bygones, enjoy the forum and take it for what it's worth
Old February 27th, 2014, 9:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Snuggyworm
No sir. I checked the oil level and it's almost gone. I found the leak eventually.

Dom
In your first three posts, you never mentioned the oil level being low.......no mention of any leaks either........

Quick Reply: Strange "check engine oil level" phenomenon.