Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Strange problem with radio-Intermittent loud static

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2011, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange problem with radio-Intermittent loud static

I have had my 2008 Suburban LTZ for a little over 2 weeks now and am loving it. The only problem I have noticed is that twice in the last week when I am driving with the radio on I will hear loud static that last for about half a second and then the radio cuts out for 2-3 seconds then comes back on and resumes play. When this happens, the lights do not flicker and nothing else seems to act up, only the radio. I have the Nav radio and the screen still shows the radio station and the Navigation display does not disappear. It happens when I am on smooth roadway so it's not like I am hitting a large bump or something that would cause an electrical connection to wiggle loose or short out. I am not overly concerned about it since it does not affect or involve any other electronics but it does somewhat scare me for a second when I am cruising down the freeway. Has anyone else had this happen or have any idea what could be the culprit?
Old February 28th, 2011, 9:28 PM
CF Senior Member

The same thing happens on my 10 burb and wife's 10 tahoe

Both with nav, I thought it was the satalite radio
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:58 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Strange problem with radio-intermittent loud static

StormH2Oguy,

Are you using the satelite radio? If so I would take the first step of contacting the satelite radio carrier for assistance with this. Upon doing that, if you have satelite radio in your '08 Suburban and that doesn't fix the issue, I would get with the dealership about any information that they might be able to share with you about this happening.

Sincerely,
Michelle P., Chevrolet Customer Service (Assisting Jeff)
Old March 3rd, 2011, 12:40 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Were you listening to the satellite radio? Sometimes this will happen when the XM antenna loses signal from the satellite. I have had this happen even on open roads before. When I was still driving my '05 Equinox before I got my '07 Tahoe this happened quite often. In fact, sometimes it would cut out when I would pass, or get passed by a semi-truck. It does not happen as often with my Tahoe, but once in a while is does cut out. Usually though I am either driving next a very big hill, or lots of trees. I have to drive up a big windy hill to get to work, and I know everyday exactly where it will cut out and for how long. It is just because the side of the hill is blocking the antennas view of the sky.

It usually does exactly what you describe. It will cut out just for a short period of time. It starts by hearing a small amount of static and then nothing. Nothing else in the vehicle is effected by this. It will then come back on after a few seconds. On my way to work while driving up that huge hill the radio is actually out for about 30 seconds until I come around the bend. The display on the radio will actually say "No Satellite Signal". Look for that the next time this happens.

Hope that helps!
The following users liked this post:
Stephanie Ruvalcaba (March 1st, 2020)
Old March 1st, 2020, 2:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy Malibu 2013 screen has not worked for a year, static.

I don’t know what to do. I’ve tried replacing my car screen on my car, because it started to show static and my music would stop, and I could hear the static loud. I bought the same Chevy link screen on eBay and the same problem was happening. So i returned it.I paid to get it checked professionally and was told it was the a wire that’s connected to my screen. Needless to say I went to the dealership and paid 500$ for a whole new dashboard because they don’t me they don’t make the wires individually. That I had to get the the entire dashboard. My entire dashboard got replaced and my screen still doesn’t come on and you can still hear static, and my music won’t play because of that. Now I’m being told it’s the radio receiver. I don’t know what to believe anymore. I put so much money into it. I just want my screen to work. I don’t understand why the dealership and so called professionals don’t know. This is my money that’s being wasted. Can anyone or does anyone know what it can be?!