Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban electrical drain

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I don't get that big a kick out of changing alternators and starters any more. Rather pay a few bucks more and get a new one.
Old December 13th, 2010, 11:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know where anyone finds a lifetime warranty anymore. Speaking of warranties, what about battery warranties? Take it in on warranty and they depreciate it before fulfilling the warranty. That isn't exactly spelled out in the advertising.

Anyway, updating my progress, I installed a rebuilt alternator. Looks like the regulator must have been the problem. Thanks RacerX for mentioning the alternator test procedure might not be sufficient.

Even though I have a new battery it seems to me that it drains down overnight more than it should. Since my son only drives it a few miles a week this battery is likely to always be a problem. I'll be watching it over the next few days and maybe take it back to where I bought it, only 2 weeks ago.

Thanks everyone who replied, they were great suggestions. It was very helpful to me.

Jon
Old December 14th, 2010, 3:18 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonh229
Interesting. How can I check this myself?

I did check the current draw, I get a steady 3.5ma over a period of more than an hour. I used a Fluke 77 for the reading, between the battery negative and the battery ground wire. I also checked it with an ancient analog multimeter, it showed ~ 3 ma.

Jon
You can pull fuses one by one and find which one gets rid of the battery drain to narrow it down. ( possibly until it gets in to the electronic crap.)
Old December 14th, 2010, 5:19 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I still have my JC Penny lifetime battery in my Corvette. They've tried to buy me out several times. The current one has been on a maintainer since new, so don't know what condition it's in but when I get the engine back in will find out. Best buy I ever made.