Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban Rear Defrost Wire Tab Broken

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2012, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fired up

I took my 2010 in for routine oil change today and asked them to take a look at the rear defrost. Oil change, recall issue for transmission dipstick, and Express Wash Plus took three hours to complete. Luckily my 2 year old and my 8 month old are better than David Maus' Service Department. They came back and told me it would cost $639.01 plus one hour of labor to change the rear glass. I reminded them of the GM Certified Warranty. They said they didn't call the warranty department yet. I told them I was leaving to get my kids home, but I expected a call within an hour regarding the issue. They called back within the hour asaid they called the warranty department which advised them the item was not covered under warranty. I got off the phone and immediately called GM customer care to open a claim. They ended up calling the dealership while I was on hold. Twenty minutes later, rep came back and said they concurred with the dealership. I remained calm but stern. I asked her to tell me where the rear defroster was excluded. She stated that the defroster would be covered under electrical, but it was the glass that was the item not covered. I told her that there is an electrical component that is contained within the glass so therefore the glass is considered an electrical component. I said I have an electrical component that is not working and it should be fixed under the warranty. The conversation went on, but I will not bore you. In the end, she stated she would call the dealership to see what kind of deal could be worked out. That's a line of BS, but what are you gonna do.

On top of all that, my car was half-assed washed, not vacuumed, and dirty windows. Dealership said full detail voucher is in the mail. We will see....

Still pissed...

Also found a GM service bulletin regarding the issue... TSB 03-08-006F

Last edited by Diverkyle; October 26th, 2012 at 2:10 PM. Reason: additional info
Old October 26th, 2012, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Looks like Diverkyle is in the same boat as me. There is massive disconnect between what GM is publishing in their CPO warranty book and how they honor it. If I can't get my issue resolved I'm seriously considering a class action suit for this nonsense.
Old October 26th, 2012, 2:51 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Gezzus! there is a repair process outlined under #03-08-48-006E !!
Are GM dealerships saying they only hire part replacers and not qualified and trained technicians?!?!
Oh wait I already know the answer to that question, I have my own grief with the Iffy lube drop-out that did my oil and lube back in June...
Good Grief....
Old November 12th, 2012, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Update, I contacted the dealer where I purchased my Suburban and they told me to send them the invoice and they would cut me a check and then work to get reimbursed by GM. A big thanks to Fred Beans Chevrolet in Doylestown, PA for standing behind the warranty. I still don't understand the disconnect with GM and why they could not resolve this.
Old November 13th, 2012, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default Rear Defogger?

Brief segue back to the defogger (from the warranty discussion). The glue did hold the tab on my 2001 Suburban. It looks just fine. However, defogger does not work. Perhaps I did not clean it correctly or perhaps I did not adequately mix the conductive particles in the glue. In any event I will hand it off to the repair experts to try their hand at either regluing or soldering the connection. In MN one needs a defogger. The season in upon us and I regard it as a safety issue. If necessary I will spring for a new window but....
Old November 13th, 2012, 3:34 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowman53
Brief segue back to the defogger (from the warranty discussion). The glue did hold the tab on my 2001 Suburban. It looks just fine. However, defogger does not work. Perhaps I did not clean it correctly or perhaps I did not adequately mix the conductive particles in the glue. In any event I will hand it off to the repair experts to try their hand at either regluing or soldering the connection. In MN one needs a defogger. The season in upon us and I regard it as a safety issue. If necessary I will spring for a new window but....
First check the voltage between the two cables to make sure you have 12V. If so, then I'd try using the grid repair kit conductive paint between the terminals and the path on the glass. I just repaired seven grid lines on my wife's where the PO allowed something to rub the grid lines off near the bottom half of the glass.