Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

suburban upgrades

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2012, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suburban upgrades

Hello all I am new to the forum and have a fiew questions. I recently bought an 01 suburban LT and was wanting to do some factory upgrades to it but don't know what ones are possible to do, any help would be great.
First off it doesn't have the mirror turn signals on it and I would really like to get those first, Is it possible to add them to an 01 that didn't come with them.
Second the seats are worn pretty good Is it possible to use the seats from a newer tahoe,suburban,escalade ,yukon,ect.

Those are the two main things I'm looking to do first. If there is any other factory upgrade mod that can be done as well without doing to much work let me know.
Old March 18th, 2012, 6:32 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Most electrical upgrades will require pulling wires. I imagine seats from anything up to 2006 would fit but you probably want to check measurements. You can get replacement seat covers from places like Katzkins.
Old March 18th, 2012, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum.

Most electrical upgrades will require pulling wires. I imagine seats from anything up to 2006 would fit but you probably want to check measurements. You can get replacement seat covers from places like Katzkins.
Well I figured that maybe because it was the same body style that the turn signals in the mirrors would be a direct swap and all i would have to do is plug them in ?

I dont really want to get seat covers because that would still mean the seats are worn.
Old March 19th, 2012, 8:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Try checking one of the nationwide dismantlers' websites and do a search for 2001-2006 Suburban & Tahoe seats. The one I use is www.car-part.com. You can search by state, region or national. If you find something out of anything other than your year and model, though, take 73shark's advice and check the mountings and connections.

GM was using tissue paper thin leather through '06, so it could be hard to find something in decent condition. Another drawback is that the farther away they are, the higher the shipping costs (I'm speaking from experience here). Before you commit, see if you can locate a good upholstery shop in your area and ask what they'd charge to rebuild and reupholster your seats using OEM materials...might be the same or less.

1988 Mercedes Benz 560SL (Wife's)
1998 Mercedes Benz S420 (Wife's)
1995 Mercedes Benz C280 (Daughter's)

2007 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 3LT (MINE!) <!-- / message --><!-- / message --><!-- / message -->

Last edited by silveroak94; March 19th, 2012 at 8:32 PM.