Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

swapped from cloth to heated leather, wired harness, bater dies =(

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2009, 7:05 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default swapped from cloth to heated leather, wired harness, bater dies =(

I swapped my cloth front seats and put in 12 point heated leather seats. Yesterday I finally got the schematics for the new and old harnesses since the new seats come with way more cables. I wired everything up and everything worked great. There are two 16ga red/white cables under each seat that power he computer brain of the seat. Instead of doing a jump from another 12v source, i ran a 16ga cable directly from the battery and fused it with a 15a fuse. I noticed that the cable and the fuse were getting very very hot. The wiring I did for the seating wont work unless both those red/white lines see 12v. It seemed like those lines were drawing too much current so I ran an 8ga cable an fused it with a 25a fuse. It now runs extremely cooler. This morning I wake up to find my car batteries have died (I have two, the factory battery and a kinetik battery). I disconnected the fuse and gave my car a jump start. Why would the batteries die from something thats factory? Do the computers need an igniiton source rather than 12v? Doesnt make any sense =/
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Do you have a DC ampmeter? Id check to see what wire is drawing amps thats draining the battery? It might be because its hooked straight to the battery and not the fuse panel. IDK, lets see if a more advanced member can shed a little light on this.
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:28 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default seats

i'm not advanced but i know a thing or two about electricity

are the seats 'hot' when the trucks 'off'...

are they hot to your butt?

if u leave the vehicle 10 min, come back... don't start it... are they warm?

if they are... then yes you will have a dead battery, resistance is used to make heat, heated seats would kill a battery uber fast...

if they are not 'hot'... then u have a slower drain somewhere else.

I'd find the multimeter and see if the drain is more than when u pull them off...

Maybe the computer like you said needs to only be on when the car is on.

and i mean ON not ACC position... radio can play in ACC, but heated seats will destroy the battery... you need the alternator spinning.

if all else fails put in a big manual kill switch or wire a relay up for when the truck is 'on'...

I'm afraid to touch any wiring in my 09... there are so many freakin wires!!!!
Old May 8th, 2009, 1:17 PM
CF Active Member

Im going to check that, right now I have the fuse disconnected, but I am going to reconnect it to see if maybe the heated seats option is activated. Thanks for the help.
Old May 8th, 2009, 2:16 PM
CF Active Member

also somethign I forgot to mention was that I DO have the LTZ door panels that come with the memory and heated seats switches but they are NOT connected. I have not connected any wires that are for the heated seats, memory seats, or adjustable pedals. I was thinking about that right now because the seats couldn't be getting hot since there is nothing triggering the computer in the seat to activate it.
Old May 8th, 2009, 2:23 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

I am leaning to reply that said it should be tied into the ACC circuit panel/fuse panel and only be powered when the key is on.
Old May 9th, 2009, 7:01 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you STILL adding stuff to this truck??
I thought you learned your lesson after you swapped out the dash! hehe
At any rate, what year is this thing again?.....I'll have to look up schematics to further help you

In the mean time, get a mutlimeter and find where the draw is coming from. Lets makes sure its from the seats before you re-wire it for nothing
Old May 9th, 2009, 9:31 AM
CF Active Member

LOL yes sir I am still adding, actually its not really adding, its more like finally getting off my lazy but and connecting the seats that I put in many months ago. Im doing this because my airbag light was on as well as the seatbelt sensor not working. I figured out a little problem that I think the tech did accidentally when working on my car. he found two small 16ga red/white wires that ran from the drivers kick panel to under the seats. These wires come from the driver interior junction box, they supposedly power the module under the drivers seat for airbags as well as the PPS module under the passenger seat. He did a jump by the B-pillar but I realized that he didnt do the jump on the right wires. I fixed that problem and now the modules under the drivers seat and passenger seat (airbag) ar working and sending signal. I still have ANOTHER red/white cable that goes under the slot of the other two cables in the inner junction box that is reading ground. That is what the tech mistakingly connected to power thinking it was one of the other modules, I'm almost positive that this belongs to the module under the center console. I know that if I power this cable my airbag light goes away and I have no more airbag sensor problems, but then I have the problem of the battery dying. The seats are form a 2007 LTZ and my cars floor wiring harness is still a 2008 LT1. The only difference is that I had to run an extra 12v fused source for the drivers seat that would have gone connected to the DSM (or DDM not sure) on the drivers side.

Im pretty sure I confused everyone here so in short... if you are looking at the drivers juntion box (behing the ebrake pedal), there is a gray harness to the top left. The very first pin on the top left of the harness has two red/white wires going into it(these are the wires that power the modules under the seat). Right below that pin is another red/white that right now is resting at ground. That cable is was what the tech mistakingly jumped thinking it was one of the seat modules, and what I think was causing the battery to die. Right nwo if I fuse that line to power the airbag light turns off, now its disconnected therefore my airbag light is on. I need to find out what that cable is exactly for (if its for the module under the center console) and how its connected and to where. Phew!

I have schematics for the safety restraint circuits but they are impossible to read and I know the Chevrolet techs have better documents with pictures and everything. Thanks for the help.