Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tailgate opening by itself???

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2007, 4:26 PM
DEI
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tailgate opening by itself???

Another Update:

The dealer had the Tahoe for the last two days. Just picked it up now. It actually did act up for them while it was there so they know I'm not crazy now! The Tech found more codes to help trouble shoot the problem. He said there was some updates that needed to be done & the key fobs needed to be reprogramed also.They didn't have to take anything apart or replace anything. The Tech wasn't done with his paperwork so they'll mail out my copy later so I actually know what they did.(And hopefully what codes they were) He had it parked in sight all morning and said it was fine so far....I hope so!
Old January 18th, 2007, 5:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah if you could pass along a copy of the info I would appreciate it. My parts are in but I can't get it in until the 25th cause they gotta give me a car and they don't have one available until then.
Old January 18th, 2007, 7:04 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like your dealers service tech is on the right track.

My suggestion would have been to reprogram the Power Liftgate Module (PLGM), update software in every module, then also dump and reprogram the RKE's to different channels just to be on the safe side, and it pretty much sounds like this is what was done.

I'll bet it's fixed now.

Sometimes programming anomalies will occur for unknown reasons, these things are full of computers and we all know that this stuff can have minds of their own at times. Luckily in many cases a simple reprogram can cure the beast.
Old January 18th, 2007, 7:12 PM
CF Active Member

ZX,

Will the 2008's have Ctrl, Alt, & Del. keys on the dash so we can simply reboot when necessary?

......kidding
Old January 18th, 2007, 7:24 PM
CF Addict

Don't joke around!
The operating system in the 08 is based on Windows ME.
Old January 18th, 2007, 8:30 PM
DEI
CF Junior Member

Bad News:

ZX, your exactly right on what they did. I only know this because I had to stop at thedealership again becauseit didn't work. I opened it with the RKE and tried to close it with the button on the bottom of the tailgate...no luck. Had to close it with the RKE again. I tried it with the keys in the ignition and running and then it worked fine. Before I could get in and put it in gear it opened by itself.. I closed it from inside but it wouldn't close all the way. Then tonight while I was unloading it, the tailgate closed about 6 inches and stopped. After I closed it by hand I opened it again from the back and tried to close it again. It closed half way, tried to reverse like it wanted to hit me, then finished closing. Anyone have any ideas? It's going back again in the morning.(I'm already tired of those little loaner cars!)
Old January 18th, 2007, 8:35 PM
CF Senior Member

I still have a strong suspicion that the rear exterior switch is the issue. I bet the small interior switch is connected to that switch so when the main one malfunctions it takes the small one with it. Of course when they ordered me a new rear switch and a liftgate module I wasn't going to say no. I'm just as tired of this as you are. If you want I can give you the name of my service center and maybe your tech and mine can figure this out together.

Out of curiosity, has your Tahoe ever done this when the vehicle was locked?
Old January 18th, 2007, 8:46 PM
CF Addict

What he said.

One of the switches is inop, didn't you say that the dealer had replaced a switch or two already?
Old January 18th, 2007, 9:00 PM
DEI
CF Junior Member

The tailgate has never opened when locked or when the switch on the headliner is switched to off. Yeah, if you want to give me your service center name that would be great. Sounds like my service center tech hasn't called Chevy yet. He was just working off of a bunch of codes from the Tahoe. Nobody there has heard of this before and the mentioned calling the Tech line in the morning. Thanks again.....
Old January 18th, 2007, 9:20 PM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

What he said.

One of the switches is inop, didn't you say that the dealer had replaced a switch or two already?
The dealer replaced the interior tailgate switch on the underside of the liftgate. I would bet, and you would know better than I, that this switch is wired to the rear exterior tailgate switch on the handle. It would make sense.

My dealer is Ray Chevrolet in Fox Lake, IL (847) 587-3300. I think they have a toll free # 866-500-1400

Ask for the Service center. I can't remember the service writers name but he's a real good guy. He knows my truck and in fact called it the "Famous Truck" when I scheduled my appointment cause this has been such a mystery. I believe they have already spoken to GM Tech people.

Quick Reply: Tailgate opening by itself???