Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tailgate opening by itself???

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2007, 9:27 PM
DEI
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tailgate opening by itself???

Thanks...I'll pass that name & number on in the morning. I hope someone can figure this out. ZX, any other ideas for us??
Old January 19th, 2007, 4:59 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We have seen several cases (not necessarily with this item but others) where wiring have become pinched and/or shorted and have caused all sorts of weird things to occur.

If it isn't the control module or the switches then the wiring would be my next guess.

I've searched through GM repair history reports and haven't been able to find a duplicate problem yet.
Old January 19th, 2007, 8:44 PM
DEI
CF Junior Member

Brought the Tahoe backe in this morning again. I've been telling them that the back hatch release (to open the hatch) seems really sensitive to me. You barely have to touch it at the hatch opens up. They ran it through their computer again to get the error codes one more time but, nothing new. They parked it back outside & whithin half an hour it was wide open again. So now they are thinking it has something to do with the back hatch release. Maybe the cold weather having something to do with it. (expansion and contraction of the touch pad on the handle) They have ordered a new one but are unsure if it's just the actual button that will come or if it's a whole new handle, and if so if it will need to be painted. The parts are to be in on Monday guess I'll find out then. I will say they sure are treating me good anyways. I'm sure they'll figure it out but, I hope it doesn't take too much longer.
Old January 19th, 2007, 8:49 PM
DEI
CF Junior Member

ZX, if it is a pinched wire, how hard is that to track down in a vehicle full of wiring? Just curious.I don't think they've checked the control module yet. Maybe that will have to be next!

Thanks for checking through the GM repair history report...it's appreciated.
Old January 24th, 2007, 6:47 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truck went in an hour ago. It has also started doing some weird things. After discussing this with the dealer we are both 95% sure this is the exterior rear hatch switch. The pressure pad will open if you squeeze in some areas and others it's useless. Also if you use that switch the electric release keeps trying to release. The only way I can get it to turn off is by manually closing the locking switch with my fingers and using the rear hatch release button inside to open it again.

I should have it back in a few hours so I'm gonna keep an eye on it for a few days. I'll post back to give the results.
Old January 24th, 2007, 8:28 PM
DEI
CF Junior Member

Just got back from picking up the Tahoe. They replaced the pressure pad on the rear hatch (1 hour fix)then put it back outside which has been makingit open. They kept an eye on it for several hours and it hasn't opened so far. I barely had to rub my finger across the touch pad before, now I have to squeeze itpretty good to make the hatch open. Hope this fixes it. They contacted Chevrolet and were told this is only the second case of this they have heard of. The first case they were going to replace the switch also but, they haven't heard back yet if it worked or not. Sounds familiar huh, doo600!
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:32 AM
CF Senior Member

Sure does sound familiar. My switch feels 10 times better. I can almost guarantee this is fixed. No problems at all since I picked it up earlier today. I also had them do the recall while it was there. It's a good day.
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: doo600

also had them do the recall while it was there. It's a good day.
glad you got your crazy hatch fixed. what recall did you have????
Old January 25th, 2007, 1:08 AM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: engine2

glad you got your crazy hatch fixed. what recall did you have????
The recall was something to do with the Flexfuel. ZX described it on this forum somewhere. I guess it deals with when the fuel tank is half full of E85 and half regular fuel. Not a big worry since I only ran E85 twice and both times filled and refilled near empty like recommended.
Old January 25th, 2007, 1:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks doo for clearing that up for me. I thought I missed something.

Quick Reply: Tailgate opening by itself???