Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tire Recommendations??

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2012, 11:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cooper A/T3. I guess in cali and texas you may not need a real farm tire, but these things are the best for Kansas sleet/snow/dry dirt/cowfields/whatever.
Old November 27th, 2012, 3:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ohh me, how does one disagree with such a well credentialed individual such as you, but I will in part...

You imply that there is no correct way to rotate Directional Tires properly. But in fact, the proper way to rotate them is in the "I" pattern, not the "X".

Would this "I" rotation pattern be less efficient than the "X" in the long run concerning the life of the Tire... probably. But, as in so many other choices one has concerning "tailoring" a Tire to do a specific job better than another, there are (including life expectancy) tradeoffs.

What is it worth, to have that additional "edge" of ability.

PS:
I remind those following this Thread, that one of the main concerns of the OP was operating the vehicle frequently under wet road conditions.
Old November 27th, 2012, 6:53 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SWHouston
Ohh me, how does one disagree with such a well credentialed individual such as you, but I will in part...

You imply that there is no correct way to rotate Directional Tires properly. But in fact, the proper way to rotate them is in the "I" pattern, not the "X".

Would this "I" rotation pattern be less efficient than the "X" in the long run concerning the life of the Tire... probably. But, as in so many other choices one has concerning "tailoring" a Tire to do a specific job better than another, there are (including life expectancy) tradeoffs.

What is it worth, to have that additional "edge" of ability.

PS:
I remind those following this Thread, that one of the main concerns of the OP was operating the vehicle frequently under wet road conditions.

Wow kind of seems like an attack. Slow down no need to get upset. Yes you can do a front to back rotation on directional tires but it is not even half as effective as a true "X" rotation. Sure it maybe a great tire but there are many equal tires that are not directional. I see cars all the time with un needed directional tires and the owners had no idea that they were sold them. At 30k they are wondering why they need tires again. They say I would have never bought those had I known they were directional. I am just trying to point out all the facts.
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:04 AM
CF Junior Member

I will never again buy uni-directional tires. I put a set of Goodyear Tripple Treads on my wife's Highlander. They were rotated (same side) every 5K miles and the alignment was checked regularly. They cupped and developed a LOUD roar after about 20K miles. There are plenty of good rain tires without going uni-directional.

I agree that the Michelin LTX-MS are great tires. I had them on my old Yukon and they wore like iron. Very quiet and great in the rain. They are the top rated tire on tirerack.com for light truck/large SUV tires.

The Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's on my 2011 Tahoe have been a decent tire so far but not as quiet or as good in the rain as the Michelins were on my Yukon.
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
If you like Michelin take a look a Kumho they are Michelin quality without the proud price. You may want to take a look at Cooper tires also. They are American made.
I have heard nothing but good things from those that have use the Kumho's

The little woman just bought a 2013 Dodge Journey with Kumho's on it..

Its my understanding the Kumho's are also American made
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I apologize for the misunderstanding...
There was no intent for an attack, nor am I upset.

I do now, and have always respected your point of view, weather I agree with it or not.
Old November 27th, 2012, 5:15 PM
CF Active Member

Have 20K on Michelin LTX MS2's on my 08 Sub and they are holding up great. Good all around tire for New England. Quiet, good in the wet and snow.
Old November 27th, 2012, 7:44 PM
CF Senior Member

how deep snow have you experienced with the ms2's and do drive on any dirt roads? if so how do they hold up?
Old November 27th, 2012, 8:27 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Back in the late 60s when Americans started using radials in earnest, "I" rotation was what the mfgs suggested as at that time it was thought that changing the direction of rotation was harmful to radial tires.
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
Back in the late 60s when Americans started using radials in earnest, "I" rotation was what the mfgs suggested as at that time it was thought that changing the direction of rotation was harmful to radial tires.
Its just an old wise tail now. All auto manufactures and tire manufactures now recomend the modified x

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendations??