Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tire Recommendations??

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2012, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Recommendations??

Hi, I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ currently with the stock Bridgestone Alenza 275/55R20 tires. I was thinking about replacing them, but I wanted to know what tires I should replace them with. Was thinking about replacing them with the stock ones, but those are kinda expensive. Any recommendations. I live in Northern California. It does not snow where I live, but it does rain in the winter and gets pretty hot in the summer. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
Old November 24th, 2012, 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

I've got the same question. Current tire is a Grabber.

Consumer reports says the Continental PureContact and Michelin Primacy are the best value and rating - anyone use these and have good or bad experiences?
Old November 24th, 2012, 4:50 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Tires are a good example of you get what you pay for. If you're keeping the truck for a while, get Michelins.
Old November 25th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GARY476
rain in the winter and gets pretty hot in the summer.
Shark is not wrong in recommending the Michelin brand, and I've herd some good things about the LTX...
Michelin*LTX M/S2
but they are rather "proud" of their Tires.

Given your interest in Wet Traction, and a somewhat lesser costing Tire, you might consider the UHP...
General*Grabber UHP
Note the "V" shaped tread pattern, which is a very efficient design, to discharge water out to the sides, instead of creating a "Bow Wave" to the front, as many street tires do.

Just a tip...
Should you choose a tread pattern like the UHP, for best performance on wet roads, be sure the "V" on all four wheels, is just like you see the one I just typed, when viewed from the front of the vehicle.
Old November 25th, 2012, 1:27 PM
CF Senior Member

i was torn between the ltx ms2 and the wrangler silent armour. i used the wranglers for 30,000 miles and like them alot. they were great in the snow and off roading. i recently had to buy 3 sets of tires for 2 tahoes and a suburban. (i am not fond of the alenzas) i went with the michelin ltx ms2's.
these tires are great and they should be the standard tire that comes with these vehicles. these tires are super quiet, hold the road superbly in wet weather and have worked well with the icy mix we had 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by blueinterceptor; November 26th, 2012 at 2:29 AM.
Old November 26th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blueinterceptor
i used the wranglers for 30,000 miles and likes them alot. they were great in the snow and off roading.
I agree, that'd be a very good looking Tread for ice, and they come in Garry's size as well. I do believe that the UHP's would be better for wet conditions though.

I always chuckle when I see terms like "all terrain" and "all season", and stick to the old adage "do several jobs marginally, or one job well"

but you'd expect that from a nitpicker like me.

Ref:
Goodyear*Wrangler SilentArmor
Old November 26th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm creeping up on 78k on my original Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. I will most likely go back with them. I have had no problems with them and if I get another 5 yrs and 80k miles from them it will be time for a new vehicle by then.
Old November 26th, 2012, 3:04 PM
Super Moderator

I have a set of General Grabber HTS on my Burb now, and the way I've been driving since I retired (<2K Yr) I'm going to have to replace them from Dry Rot, before I wear them out.

Last edited by SWHouston; November 26th, 2012 at 3:06 PM.
Old November 26th, 2012, 4:30 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah, I am seeming some very minor cracking in the sidewalls... I am not down to the wear indicators yet but getting close...I could replace them now, but I want every last mile
Old November 26th, 2012, 7:41 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You got to watch it as you do not want to end up with a directional tire. With directional tires proper rotations can not be done thus decreasing tire life. The General Grabber UHP is a directional tire. If you like Michelin take a look a Kumho they are Michelin quality without the proud price. You may want to take a look at Cooper tires also. They are American made.

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendations??