Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tire Recommendations??

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GARY476
Any suggestions?
Come to any conclusions yet ?
Old November 28th, 2012, 5:26 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been in 6" + of snow and they do fine. I also run them down to 15-20 lbs (don't want to break the bead) to run on the beach.

So the y are an all around good tire.
One caveat, I had Nokian Tyres as a dedicated snow tire and they were the absolute best snow/ice tire I ever had on anything. Not bad in the dry but wore out in 40K.
Old November 28th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 08 burb fan
they do fine.
Several brands have been mentioned, which are you referring to ?

Any tire which has widened groves or tread lugs for special purposes, will inherently not deliver the mileage that a smooth street tire will. And it's not that some don't do quite well. But, you got to have lots of rubber on the road, to get the most miles out of a tire.

If comparing the two Tires mentioned at the start of this thread (LTX & UHP) the Michelin's will probably deliver several more (maybe 25% or so) additional miles for their life.

Last edited by SWHouston; November 28th, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old November 28th, 2012, 12:25 PM
CF Active Member

Michelin LTX M/S 2 size 265 70 17
Old November 28th, 2012, 5:36 PM
CF Active Member

I,m running Goodyear Silent Armor pro-grade 265's on my Suburban 2500
One of the best tires i have bought.
Old November 28th, 2012, 7:25 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Its just an old wive's tale now. All auto manufacturers and tire manufacturers now recommend the modified x
I know that, was just providing some history for the young pups.
Old November 28th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

For those of you who may not have thought of this way, and using the Tire Brands which were originally suggested...

1) I'm going to say, that two sets of General UHP Tires, will outlast one set of Michelin LTX Tires, even with the less efficient "I" Rotation required. Now, if you consider that the UHP Tires cost about half of what a LTX Set cost, buying two sets of UHP Tires will put you further down the road for your Dollar spent than one set of LTX's, then...

2) All tires "get tired" after a while, with the best performance occurring in the first 50% (approximately) of the Tire wear. So, having the freshness of a new set of tires occurring at or past the midrange of this "life time" period, will give you better and overall performance from the two set application, then...

3) The "Pocket Book" shock of the purchase of a set of UHP Tires, would be half of that of the LTX Tires, and the second expenditure occurring at a more extended period, than there would be, when you would be required to buy a second set of LTX's.

Now, the downside of this is...

After a period of time, you'd have to spend maybe an hour (or so) extra at the Tire Shop to get the second set of UHP Tires installed.
Old November 29th, 2012, 10:02 AM
CF Senior Member

Are you saying that the generals are as good as the michelins.
Also note that these tires uhp v ltx are two entirely different tires.
Uhp is a summer tire while the ltx is an all season tire.

Last edited by blueinterceptor; November 29th, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blueinterceptor
Are you saying that the generals are as good as the michelins.
Also note that these tires uhp v ltx are two entirely different tires.
Uhp is a summer tire while the ltx is an all season tire.
I'm not sure that I would use the term "good". "Dedicated", probably would be a better term. Like in most dedicated tread patterns (mud/snow/rock), the UHP does wear faster than a "street/smoother" pattern like the LTX. So, if you use mileage is the qualification for good, than no, the LTX's deliver more. I think that General is completely aware of the life expectancy, and their pricing structure for these tires, makes replacements affordable by comparison.

The UHP tread design is very slanted toward driving on wet roads, and improves the traction/controllability considerably because if that. Wet conditions can occur at all times of year, and, the OP said that he lived in an area, where it rained frequently, but didn't snow often or at all.

The General UHP or another similarly dedicated tread pattern tire, are exactly what the OP ask for.

Last edited by SWHouston; November 29th, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old November 29th, 2012, 3:20 PM
CF Senior Member

The General UHP or another similarly dedicated tread pattern tire, are exactly what the OP ask for.[/QUOTE]

i stand corrected

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendations??