Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Towing Box Trailer with Hoe

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2007, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Box Trailer with Hoe

I知 planning to tow a Pace American aluminum frame box trailer containing my 1966 Corvette from Pittsburgh to Charlotte round trip in late April. I have a new 07 Tahoe LT1 with 4WD, 5.3 L V8, 3.73 gears. The trailer has electric brakes, therefore, I値l be installing an electric brake controller in the Tahoe. My friend owns the trailer and he uses it specifically to haul Corvettes or other show cars. He pulls the trailer with an 05 Chev full size 2WD pickup with a 5.3L V8. I obtained a set of trailering mirrors that strap around my outside mirrors for better visibility when I知 towing. I do not plan to tow very much but that could change.

I estimate the trailer to weigh 2800# and my car weighs 3200# for a total of 6000#. Chevy specs state that my Tahoe is rated at 7200# towing capability that includes the driver only as extra cargo. Considering another passenger and cargo, I estimate another 300#, which takes rated towing capability to 6900#. There appears to be about 800-900# towing margin.

Does anyone have any experience towing under similar conditions? What can I expect? I assume that I値l be towing in tow mode and in third gear?

Regards,
Dave K
Old February 8th, 2007, 3:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Towing Box Trailer with Hoe

I have a texas roll back trailer that we tow our 350z show car with my 07 LTZ 2WD with 3.73 gears. The trailer weighs 1840 lbs and the car about 3600 lbs. Both my husband and I are in the tahoe loaded down with cleaning items, chairs, pop up tent (the ones you can use at outdoor shows), display gear, suitcase, boards to get the car on the trailer, and a buch of other necessary crap for car shows all of which probably adds 300 or so lbs to the vehicle. We have the electric brake controller installed. We use tow mode, but regular drive (not 3rd gear) and it tows fine, no groaning of the motoror anything. It looks like my setup is about 900 lbs less than yours, but I still don't see a problem.The trailer is well made and doesn't sway (we have used it with a Nissan full size truck as well). We are able to go 85 mph without problems on the freeway.

We are thinking about selling our texas roll back for an enclosed trailer for this next car show season.
Old February 12th, 2007, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Auburn,

Anyone else with experience?

DaveK
[8D]
Old February 12th, 2007, 3:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also be sure not to exceed the recommended tongue weight.