Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Trailer Brake Controllee

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2020, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Brake Controllee

Hi. I have a 2019 Suburban LT. It has the trailer package but not the max trailering package that comes with the trailer brake controller on the dash. I see I can buy that part and the new piece of trim cheap and add it. There is also a place in the fuse box by the pedals for an aftermarket harness to be added. Has anyone ever retrofitted the stock controller to their suburban? And if so can you provide any advise? I am wondering if it’s possible since the car may not be programmed to accept it.
Old April 8th, 2020, 8:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the factory controller is the one you want. It will incorporate with the trucks abs/stability system providing sway control....activating individual front brakes to counter act sway which is detected by the traction control system yaw sensor. no aftermarket controller can do this.

the factory system fits neater into the dash so its not hit by your knees and within reach if you need to manually applied the trailer brakes

you buy a kit from the dealer...install it or have it itstalled. the dealer will flash the appropriate modules to add it to the build.

Last edited by tech2; April 8th, 2020 at 8:03 PM.
Old April 8th, 2020, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

thank you. I have service this week so I will have to ask about it. Any idea what it costs?

Last edited by Mroundtree88; April 8th, 2020 at 8:09 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2021, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

My 2015 Ram has the integrated brake controller and it work really well. I've had 2 aftermarket controllers in two previous trucks and the integrated unit beats either of them hands down. Smooth operation, trouble free, and reliable.

Last edited by robmandeville143; August 9th, 2021 at 6:15 AM.
Old August 4th, 2021, 8:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mroundtree88
Hi. I have a 2019 Suburban LT. It has the trailer package but not the max trailering package that comes with the trailer brake controller on the dash. I see I can buy that part and the new piece of trim cheap and add it. There is also a place in the fuse box by the pedals for an aftermarket harness to be added. Has anyone ever retrofitted the stock controller to their suburban? And if so can you provide any advise? I am wondering if it’s possible since the car may not be programmed to accept it.
I have a 2018 Suburban Premier and have been told by multiple dealers that it cannot be added. The integrated brake controller comes as part of the "max trailering package", which also includes a 2-speed transfer case and different differential gearing. The wiring is there under the dash, but the computer module is not. So even if you add the integrated controller and plug it in, it won't work. I asked this same question a few months back. Check out the "Adding Factory Integrate Trailer Brake Controller" thread. I ended up buying the Tekonsha P3 and it works great.