Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Transmission temperature

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum
+1 for the glove box, also take a picture of it for easy reference and in case it wears off from items stored in the glove box rubbing it over time.
Old September 7th, 2013, 2:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to be clear about this, 175° to 200° is the normal operating temperature for the Fluid !
Transmissions can probably operate at a much higher temperature, save, that if you burn your Fluid, you're going to damage the Transmission.

There's several ways to "help" keep the temp down...
Larger Aux Cooler with a Fan,
Just putting a Fan on the Cooler you have,
Adding a Metal "air director" plate to direct more of the ram air to the Cooler.
Causing the Transmission not to shift so frequently (when towing) by not using OD.

PS:
Some just can't get by without going over 200° frequently.
If that's the case, you can help out a lot by changing the Fluid out more regularly. It's usually pretty tough stuff, but there's a limit to how many times you can push it, without compromising it's ability to Lubricate.
Old September 8th, 2013, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks but I looked inside the glove box and console and didn't find anything. Have also looked under the hood. Maybe GM isn't using these codes any more. It seemed to me that they provided a more comprehensive as-built listing than doing a VIN decode but I may be wrong. I have done the VIN decode and it appears that my vehicle doesn't have a transmission cooler but there are other things that it would be nice to know. For instance I have OnStar but apparently not bluetooth but the only way to tell is to try to set up bluetooth and find that there is no response.
Old September 8th, 2013, 2:37 PM
Super Moderator

Kente,
Yes, they were still using the RPO Tags in 2010, your Tag must have been intentionally removed, and, you would have found it to be very informative...unfortunate.

PS:
Are you sure about the Tranny Cooler...
Could you have meant you don't have an Axillary Cooler ?
Most all GM Vehicles with Automatic Transmissions, have the Fluid routed through a Capsule in the bottom of the Radiator, which helps warm the Fluid up, and "attempts" to keep it below 200 degrees via the Engine Coolant Temperature,

Last edited by SWHouston; September 8th, 2013 at 2:45 PM.
Old September 8th, 2013, 11:39 PM
CF Beginner

Can't imagine why anyone would remove the tag, but as I said, I can't find it. I think I do mean the auxiliary transmission cooler. Most cars run the transmission fluid through the radiator core and it probably depends on the size of the radiator whether that is adequate or not. I plan to keep an eye on the transmission fluid temp and if I see it getting too high I will probably add an auxiliary cooler. I tow a travel trailer that is 2650 pounds dry, so probably a little over 3000 pounds under normal towing conditions. Should be well within the parameters for a Suburban. I found that with my Astro the auxiliary cooler was mandatory but hopefully not for the Suburban
Old September 9th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

I'm somewhat surprised that your Burb doesn't have an Aux Tranny Cooler !
You sure you looked real good Sometimes they're pretty small and out of the way.

Also, IF you need to ad an Aux Cooler...
They make a special (separate) Valve, which re-directs the Fluid completely away from the Radiator to the Aux Cooler when temps approach 200°. This feature is very handy, given that it unloads the burden of cooling the Tranny Fluid, and let's the Radiator focus on the Engine alone. (lost the link for it, but will try to find it again)
I wouldn't recommend this, unless one added a Large Aux Cooler which had Fan Cooling.

Last edited by SWHouston; September 9th, 2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old September 9th, 2013, 7:36 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

You can take your VIN to any GM dealership and have them print you out all the details of your vehicle....
You may want to ask Chevrolet Customer Service on this forum if they can provide you the info if you send them your VIN
Old September 18th, 2014, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

I wanted to know what the maximum temperature<!--width:540px--><input name="wysiwyg" id="vB_Editor_QR_mode" type="hidden" value="1"><input name="styleid" type="hidden" value="0"><script type="text/javascript"> <!-- vB_Editor['vB_Editor_QR'] = new vB_Text_Editor('vB_Editor_QR', 1, '25', '1'); var QR_EditorID = 'vB_Editor_QR'; //--> </script> for a 2007 Chevy Cobalt can run before it overheats? Also....what is the maximum temperature for the motor, too? The Car's user manual was not helpful or the Regular Manual for fixing the car did not identify this information either.
Old September 18th, 2014, 10:51 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by getthecargoing
I wanted to know what the maximum temperature<!--width:540px--><input name="wysiwyg" id="vB_Editor_QR_mode" type="hidden" value="1"><input name="styleid" type="hidden" value="0"><script type="text/javascript"> <!-- vB_Editor['vB_Editor_QR'] = new vB_Text_Editor('vB_Editor_QR', 1, '25', '1'); var QR_EditorID = 'vB_Editor_QR'; //--> </script> for a 2007 Chevy Cobalt can run before it overheats? Also....what is the maximum temperature for the motor, too? The Car's user manual was not helpful or the Regular Manual for fixing the car did not identify this information either.
Your in the SUV section.......try posting in the Cobalt section for quicker responses

Cobalt - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums
Old September 18th, 2014, 5:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by getthecargoing
maximum temperature<!--width:540px--><input name="wysiwyg" id="vB_Editor_QR_mode" type="hidden" value="1"><input name="styleid" type="hidden" value="0"><script type="text/javascript"> <!-- vB_Editor['vB_Editor_QR'] = new vB_Text_Editor('vB_Editor_QR', 1, '25', '1'); var QR_EditorID = 'vB_Editor_QR'; //--> </script>
You're not going to find that information stated that way.
Both Coolant (the engine) and Transmission Fluid will be stated in a "range" of temperature, with the upper number being the "highest recommended" for that function.

Coolant:
Our vehicles normally operate a about 185°.
Systems which do not achieve, or go very much over the thermostat rating, indicate the need for repair (cleaning/replacing parts).

Transmission Fluid:
Most manufacturers place a temperature of 200° as the recommended maximum. However, under infrequent severe operations (heavy towing), this can be exceeded for periods of time without excessive deterioration of the substances in the Fluid.

Both of the above have recommended functionality and replacement periods according to the product manufacturer.