Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

True Flow Air Intake System

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2006, 3:16 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: True Flow Air Intake System

Boo hoo.

I don't have a big head and I'm not a jerk. The guy posted up some numbers, I asked how he got those numbers, he said dyno runs, I didnt' beleive him so I waved my BS flag until I saw some dyno sheets. Sorry but I don't beleive him and it's pretty common on other forums for people to ask to some proof because incase you didn't know their are people on the internet that lie and don't know what they are talking about. 50hp to the wheels with a tune and cold air intake. Nope, sorry I don't beleive him until I see some proof. If he shows me some proof than I will retract all former posts and eat my own words.

As far as the other members who don't like me o well. I could careless. I come hear to help others which I do. And anyone who gives bad advise I will call out just like I would be expected to be called out if I gave bad advise. I don't think anyone wants to be given bad advise.

As far as me calling others stupid I may have but come on I've heard some pretty bogus advise. In one of the malibu threads I saw another member say that the reason a guys brakes were squeeling was because the rear coil springs were broke. I couldn't help myself but to call that guy out. If you honestly have no clue as to what your talking about then simply don't post is how I see it.

Nope I don't own a tahoe and I don't have to know what makes real power and what doesn't. Research is all it takes which I do pretty much everytime I'm on the computer. I'm constantly researching to see how things work, what's the best bang for the buck, and etc. I go looking at manufacturers websites either because they throw out some power numbers that arn't true either. I go and see what consumers have to say and what the facts say.

Also on getting big power out of a tuner is bull also. Sorry but I'm not sure how it all got started as to why people think you can just program tons of power is crazy. It's all marketing. Most of the tuners out are crap and not even worth the money. Most are only good for is changing tire size, raising the speed limiter, and at best tightening up the shift points but most their not even needed. Custom tunes are the way to go but even those aren't going to net you big power gains. Now no I havn't done either but I have researched to see what works best. No I didn't just hear that from one person like I see others do. I have reseached and found this to be true from multiple people across the net.

Yes, I do work in a dealership as an intern only while I finish getting my degree. Does that make me a big head. I guess to some it does.

O well you either like me or don't like me but I do help on this forum and I do correct people when their wrong just like I would like to be corrected when I'm wrong. No shame in being wrong. I'll be the first to say when I'm wrong.
Old August 21st, 2006, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: NCHEVYHEVN

Boo hoo.

I don't have a big head and I'm not a jerk.

Nope I don't own a tahoe and I don't have to know what makes real power and what doesn't.

As far as the other members who don't like me o well. I could careless.
O well you either like me or don't like me
Well, your response proves what I said... your a JERK and most people here don't like you!

If you don't own a Tahoe, why in the heck are you even posting? Oh yeah, to prove how dumb you are.
Old August 21st, 2006, 5:10 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: Jacks77

ORIGINAL: NCHEVYHEVN

Boo hoo.

I don't have a big head and I'm not a jerk.

Nope I don't own a tahoe and I don't have to know what makes real power and what doesn't.

As far as the other members who don't like me o well. I could careless.
O well you either like me or don't like me
Well, your response proves what I said... your a JERK and most people here don't like you!

If you don't own a Tahoe, why in the heck are you even posting? Oh yeah, to prove how dumb you are.
Like I said just because I don't own a tahoe doesn't mean I don't know how they operate and what makes power and what doesn't. Research is all it takes.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:01 PM
CF Senior Member

Research is kinda like going to school and only doing book work to learn how to work on cars, yeah it helps but you still don't really learn untill you start to actually work on a car.
Thus not owning one research only goes so far.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:53 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don’t want to get into a pissing contest with anyone about which performance parts work or don’t work or how much power you gain with this or that.
With that said I’ll post my opinions (for what they’re worth) that I have gained over the past 13 years working with GM.

When testing various components and designs in the modern Vortec engines that are geared at improving the engines volumetric efficiency (ability to breathe in and out) we have almost reached an impasse, what we are finding now days is that many so called performance parts simply move the power up or down the RPM scale, we recently tested a performance “free flow exhaust” system that had a claimed 22 HP/25ft lbs increase, what we found was that at lower RPM’s the power and torque figures were actually reduced fairly substantially but as the engine was rev’d over 4,000 RPM the power came back peaking at 5,600 RPM’s with a 6 hp gain but 9ft lb loss. When we took the vehicle out for a test drive the seat-of-the-pants feeling was that the vehicle seamed faster when in fact it was slightly slower but as the power band came alive the acceleration became more noticeable giving the impression of a nice power increase.

My point being simply that most companies that produce performance parts for the new Vortec engines do not have the capitol or resources to R&D their parts properly and while they may increase power at various RPM’s it normally comes at a loss in power at other RPM’s.
One other thing to keep in mind is that the Vortec engines have one of the least restrictive intake manifold and head design of any modern V8 engine but they still take very well to a good old fashioned port and polish job which simply improves the engines ability to breathe, this should be one of the first course of actions for anyone attempting to gain any real power without utilizing forced induction.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

What up man I'm newbee, I have 99 2dr 4WD Tahoe and was wodering if you could recomend a particular tuner/programer? Or share what you know to have the best perforamnce outputs. I logged on the other day and this one member was talking about a "diablo" tuner the website seemed like a reputable out fit...? Whenever you open the Jegs or Summit parts catalogs all they stock are Hypertechs gen IIIs do you know if they're any good.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 8:35 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: kcb37

Research is kinda like going to school and only doing book work to learn how to work on cars, yeah it helps but you still don't really learn untill you start to actually work on a car.
Thus not owning one research only goes so far.
I don't see how you can comment on research and helping others with trucks/cars that you don't even own also. Atleast I research the stuff and work on the crap daily unlike you mr. "must be a knock sensor" in everythread you comment in.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 8:37 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: Odawg

What up man I'm newbee, I have 99 2dr 4WD Tahoe and was wodering if you could recomend a particular tuner/programer? Or share what you know to have the best perforamnce outputs. I logged on the other day and this one member was talking about a "diablo" tuner the website seemed like a reputable out fit...? Whenever you open the Jegs or Summit parts catalogs all they stock are Hypertechs gen IIIs do you know if they're any good.

The programmers are pretty much only good for raising the speed limiter and recalibrating the speedometer for different size tires and rear gear ratios. Save your money unless you need to do one of the above.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 8:43 PM
CF Senior Member

I don't try to comment on everything and when I do I have not intentions of trying to say this is what is wrong with your car. All I am doing is throwing out ideas and suggestions that I have from my own experiance. As for the research I do and what I work on you have absolutely no idea, or what I do for work for that matter, and frankly I have no reason to tell you.
Old August 24th, 2006, 1:08 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see any reason to squelch someone’s input based solely on the fact that he doesn't own the exact product that we are discussing, many things that we talk about can be applied to a broad spectrum of applications and products (this powertrain is in zillions of GM vehicles).
The performance program that power programmers use simply modifies fuel mapping and ignition timing, the performance gains from these changes are very minimal and at elevations above 2,700ft the effect is usually negative, the additional adjustments that they allow are these products primary benefit (if you need them) as NCHEVYHEVN has pointed out.

SLP Performance Parts packages (http://www.slponline.com/browse_list.asp) have the best performance of any upgrades I have seen and they use the Diablo programmer. The power claims from SLP are accurate at sea level and you can see just what it actually does take to gain about 50 horses.
The 2007 packages will be out soon.

Quick Reply: True Flow Air Intake System