Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

True Flow Air Intake System

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2006, 3:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: True Flow Air Intake System

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

I don't see any reason to squelch someone’s input based solely on the fact that he doesn't own the exact product that we are discussing, many things that we talk about can be applied to a broad spectrum of applications and products (this powertrain is in zillions of GM vehicles).
The performance program that power programmers use simply modifies fuel mapping and ignition timing, the performance gains from these changes are very minimal and at elevations above 2,700ft the effect is usually negative, the additional adjustments that they allow are these products primary benefit (if you need them) as NCHEVYHEVN has pointed out.

SLP Performance Parts packages (http://www.slponline.com/browse_list.asp) have the best performance of any upgrades I have seen and they use the Diablo programmer. The power claims from SLP are accurate at sea level and you can see just what it actually does take to gain about 50 horses.
The 2007 packages will be out soon.
hey there ZX 1100 you know i respect your input do you work for GM or something??? anyways bro a tune is more than a few tweaks here and there its lot more involved 50-70 HP is easy horse power....all you need to make big power is a good speed density tune (MAFless) so you run in VE all the time... it takes a good programmer to do it but it can be done ... can you believe a stock TA went 10.98@119 with a good tune..the Trans Am is all stock all it had was a frigin good speed density tune...

Old August 24th, 2006, 3:14 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That’s a very ambiguous not to mention hard to swallow claim.
Now if your talking about the 89 Turbo T/A then a “tune” would certainly include turning the boost up which could easily yield the results that you describe but if you’re talking about the 5.7 liter powered Trans Am then NO WAY.
Old August 24th, 2006, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: NCHEVYHEVN

ORIGINAL: Odawg

What up man I'm newbee, I have 99 2dr 4WD Tahoe and was wodering if you could recomend a particular tuner/programer? Or share what you know to have the best perforamnce outputs. I logged on the other day and this one member was talking about a "diablo" tuner the website seemed like a reputable out fit...? Whenever you open the Jegs or Summit parts catalogs all they stock are Hypertechs gen IIIs do you know if they're any good.

The programmers are pretty much only good for raising the speed limiter and recalibrating the speedometer for different size tires and rear gear ratios. Save your money unless you need to do one of the above.

Thanks man I figured that much. I use to run big 22's on the truck and would strike up to the sierras and was thinking of getting a programmer to recalibrate for the height of the 22's. I removed those wheels from the truck and was wondering if the programmer was still worth getting. It seems from the all the exchange on this topic that the real gains in horse power will come from good old fashion bolt ons. Do you know if the stock tranny in Tahoes are 700r4s?

Thanks again
Old August 24th, 2006, 3:44 PM
CF Junior Member

yep its a 5.7 TA it can be done go here and look at the left side of the page this guy is the owner and dose not need to impress anyone http://www.hptuners.com/

Old August 24th, 2006, 7:06 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have years of experience racing F-body cars.
Now I'm not going back and forth here over this stuff, but if you think that you can reprogram an ECM (with any piece of software) and pick up 4 seconds wheelying through the quarter mile than more power to you, shell out your $650 smacks and go make Z06’s look stupid.

This guy "Keith" claims that his: "Tuner Car goes 10.98@119 on a 1.42 60' in the 1/4 mile. A naturally aspirated all motor stock cubed LS1 with stock heads/cam and custom HP Tuners Speed Density Tuning."

I don't dispute what he does say but I can assure you that the list of mod’s (that he doesn't mention) that were done to this sled is long,
Old August 27th, 2006, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: knotacare

Thanks for the response guys & you're absolutely correct to make 50 xtra HP in these cars is not hard in fact with some new pistons & head work 500+ HP is what they do at ACA quite offen. But that 50 xtra hp & 30 TQ at the rear wheels makes a big difference when you're pulling 5K. It's ashame there's people like nchevhevn & I doubt he even owns a Tahoe or knows how to open a hood. I've probably wrenched on cars longer than he has been alive & owned more than he has ever driven. He must like to sit in front of his computer alot as much as he has posted here. I actually came to this forum seeking info on trailer wiring and got the info in a few days which I was very thankful for. I will check back from time to time & if I can answer someones question I will.
Alan
Anything you find on ACA's dyno is suspect.. Those jerks don't know a dyno from the hole in the ground they
made trying to install one. I heard them telling a customer that once they get to that 14.7:1 AFR value at WOT,
they will make the best power.. I saw a car reporting 16:1 AFR values on their dyno and they said it was
excellent. They laughed when the owner retuned it to 13:1 and lost 40hp.. I guess when you own an engine
rebuilding shop, blowing up motors on the dyno is good for business... sigh
Old August 28th, 2006, 1:52 PM
davemec

Thanks for the info.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 11:17 PM
CF Active Member

Generally all of the aftermarket air intake systems will help power by 10 or so horsepower. Don't expect a supercharger but it will help. I've read most of the posts and they're all over the place. From porting heads to whatever. Porting heads is a science. I've seen many a beautifully ( shiny ) ported heads make the engine go in the dumper power wise. DON'T port heads unless You have a flow bench available to test Your results. A matching cam must accompany the newly ported heads. That's all I have to say about that. Go ahead and put a better air intake system on, You'll be happy with it.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 11:49 PM
CF Active Member

I just really, really read ALL the posts. ZX1100F1, Why do feel a need to act in this manner? This is a forum which means that everyone can have input without being called names or anything else. Have some respect for Your fellow forum members. I was racing cars before You were born and I've run across many people with attitudes like Yours. You and Those Who act in this manner seem to try to overcome Their Own weaknesses by bullying other People. Yes, You are a bully. I'm 60 years old and am 6'4" and weight around 300 pounds. I don't do well with bullies. Take Your attitude and learn some respect. I, too, have seen 50+ horsepower from a tuneup. Hell I've seen 35 horsepower just adding the right thickness Carb spacer ( Part of tuning ) and I know how to run My dyno. Just quit talking smack and realize that other people can do things that You may not be able to do. Someday, with enough experience, You'll probably be able to do everything You think You're capable of. You certainly are passionate enough. This isn't meant to call You out or knock Your ideas. Just Respect other People ( Golden Rule ) and You'll go much farther in life and be a much happier Guy. God bless You, You need it.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 4:49 AM
CF Active Member

I apologize to ZX1100F1, The posts that were bullying were posted by NCHEVYHEVN. The previous was meant for Him. Sorry.

Quick Reply: True Flow Air Intake System