Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Turn signal issue '02 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2008, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal issue '02 Tahoe

Last week I started to have a problem with the turn signal in my 2002 Tahoe Z71. All of the lights would flash rapidly, and the side I was activating would burn the brightest. The rear Cyclops light also flashed. Immediately I replaced the flasher under the dash, that didn't work. Armed with a lot of information, I decided to order a new turn signal and install it. THAT DIDN'T WORK EITHER!! After some addition trouble shooting, I discovered that the problem ONLY happens when the parking lights (or headlights) are on. That is even weirder!! I have removed EVERY relay and fuse related to those lights. It doesn't fix it. Although... when I removed the fuses for the front parking lights, the problem slowed and seemed better. Then I removed the rear parking lights, that ALMOST made it stop, but there was still a faint flashing of the other turn signal flashers on the opposite side. PLEASE HELP!!!
Old January 19th, 2008, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Turn signal issue '02 Tahoe

Nuke,

Do you have factory trailer wiring or a aftermarket(U-Haul) setup?

The U-Haul setup is infamous for shorting internally causing similar symptoms.

Mike
Old January 19th, 2008, 9:02 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I agree. Another thing to look for is an open ground.
Old January 20th, 2008, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

Mike,

I have the factory trailer wiring... I did have to buy/install it though, because for some reason my truck didn't have one already. I found that weird since it is a Z71, and I thought they all had the towing pkg installed. It didn’t have the hitch either. I got a used factory bolt-on for that.

I did install that along with the electric trailer brake switch that goes under the dash. Now that WAS bought at U-haul, but they really don’t make it, they just sell it under their name. I have had all of that working with no issues for about 5 months.

Tomorrow (Monday), I am going to spend some time pulling EACH bulb out, one at time to see if they are affecting the system.

Thanks for the reply!

Steve
Old January 20th, 2008, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

Nuke , did the factory wiring connect up to the connector under the spare tire?

The wiring setup you have is it a 7 pin round connection?

Mike
Old January 20th, 2008, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

Mike,

Yes, it connected under the spare. It was the 7 pin round connector. Damn thing was about $50 bucks from the dealer if I remember right... but I got the guy to give it to me at cost as a military discount! ($35) It hooked right into the connector under the spare. That was a pain to get to also!! Everything worked fine including my electrictrailer brakes for about 5 months until now.

Steve
Old November 15th, 2014, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same thing is going on with my Tahoe 02

Originally Posted by lpmZ71
Nuke , did the factory wiring connect up to the connector under the spare tire?

The wiring setup you have is it a 7 pin round connection?

Mike
Looking for help with the same thing turn signals flashing. But when I hit the brakes flashing stops and brake light go off and amber lights come on
Old November 16th, 2014, 12:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default I have the same thing with my Tahoe

Nukeflash
I have the same thing going with my Tahoe
I'm hope you was able to have your fixed by now and if so. Would you be able to help with mine by letting me know what you did to fix it.
Thanks Robertkay

Originally Posted by nukeflash
Last week I started to have a problem with the turn signal in my 2002 Tahoe Z71. All of the lights would flash rapidly, and the side I was activating would burn the brightest. The rear Cyclops light also flashed. Immediately I replaced the flasher under the dash, that didn't work. Armed with a lot of information, I decided to order a new turn signal and install it. THAT DIDN'T WORK EITHER!! After some addition trouble shooting, I discovered that the problem ONLY happens when the parking lights (or headlights) are on. That is even weirder!! I have removed EVERY relay and fuse related to those lights. It doesn't fix it. Although... when I removed the fuses for the front parking lights, the problem slowed and seemed better. Then I removed the rear parking lights, that ALMOST made it stop, but there was still a faint flashing of the other turn signal flashers on the opposite side. PLEASE HELP!!!