Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Unlocking a NAV after installation

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2010, 1:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott41677
Hi Shawnvw,

I have this SAME issue with my 07 Avy (non-Y91 and UQ3). I just purchased a factory NAV unit from Ebay and one dealer is claiming that the part number is not a valid part number for my year truck, rather the part number is for the Enclave. Therefore there is nothing the dealer can do to unlock the radio. I have a feeling that they were doing the SPS unlock procedure.

Do you happen to know if your fix above (about using the pass-through and the 06 Chevy Monte Carlo) will work in this scenario?
Yes, his directions will absolutely work to get an Enclave unit to work into your vehicle. I've seen it done personally several times, and the directions we used are very near to the ones Shawn posted. We've used a slightly different technique (I've been having dealerships use a loaded VIN from the vehicle you are putting the unit into for programming purposes, seems to work better, but I've had some people have success without doing this)

Good rule of thumb when having a NAV unit programmed into your vehicle: If the dealership says that can't do it, take them at their word and go somewhere else. I've been recomending people to call around before they even head to the dealership to make sure that a tech on staff knows how to do the intall.

If he programs it and problems persist like loud chimes, no chimes ETC the programming was done wrong.
Old October 26th, 2010, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Schram! I have gone to 2 different dealers in my area and they both are balking at the instructions contained in that PIT (They say 'these instructions are not applicable to your vehicle).

When you say 'loaded VIN', are there directions that you can provide so that when I go to the 3rd dealer on Friday they can try that option? Otherwise, is this something that the tech should know how to do inherently?
Old October 26th, 2010, 7:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Scott41677
Thanks Schram! I have gone to 2 different dealers in my area and they both are balking at the instructions contained in that PIT (They say 'these instructions are not applicable to your vehicle).

When you say 'loaded VIN', are there directions that you can provide so that when I go to the 3rd dealer on Friday they can try that option? Otherwise, is this something that the tech should know how to do inherently?
e-mail me at srespecki@schramauto.com with you make / model I'll send you directions. The one thing I'll say is to use your phone and call around before you drive from dealership to dealership. Ask if they've done a NAV upgrade in a GMT900 truck. If they have, it's easy. If they haven't, it's a little foreign. Not their fault they don't know how to do it. No tech knows how to do everything.

Scott
Old October 26th, 2010, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

Just emailed you Schram. Thanks again for the help!
Old January 30th, 2017, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

Default Question about unlocking theft-activation

Hi. I have a 2008 gmc envoy.. but I recently installed the nav/radio from a trailblazer which I purchased on ebay. I took it to a dealer... he unlocked the theft activation for me and everything works GREAT and I am very happy with the unit. It is GM part no 15800000.

As I was leaving the dealer, I asked the service advisor..... if I replace the battery on my vehicle, if the radio would re-activate it's theft-lock and make itself useless to me. He replied that he thought that would happen. My udnerstanding was once the relearn procedure was done with the TECH2 device, was that my serial number was burned into the nav unit and I would never have a problem again.

Can someone shed light on this?! I'm nervous to change my battery!

Thanks - Mike
Old March 21st, 2018, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

I realize this thread is old, but the info is relevant to my current situation. The TSB originally posted by shawnvw was PIT4007D that explained the work around for this issue. Can anyone shed some light on this TSB and if the dealers can still look this TSB up (considering it's 10 years old)?

I just replaced my radio in my 2007 Yukon XL 1500 with a used radio with the same code UVB. It's THEFT LOCKED. The dealer can't unlock it and they look at me like I'm stupid when I bring up this work around. They claim cause it has NAV that they cannot unlock it. I think if I can give them a TSB to look up with the instructions they'd be more likely to cooperate. When I search the internet for PIT4007D I cant find anything.

Please Help!

Thanks!
Old January 14th, 2020, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

adouble11,
Did you ever solve your issue?
I have a 2007 Avalanche and I purchased a nav unit (15882767) off of ebay and the dealership is saying that the radio can not be unlocked. I took the #PIT4007D instructions to them and they told me that the document had been revised twice and was now at Rev F (not Rev D). They were very friendly and tried for several hours using different techniques and say that the radio simply can not be unlocked and needs to be replaced. Before I buy ANOTHER nav unit, I wanted to see if there was anyone here that might have some advice before I spent more $$$.
Old February 8th, 2020, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

I wanted to join in on this thread as well since just today I had a dealership say they were unable to unlock my Nav Radio using the directions from the beginning of this thread. Radio is a salvage from a 2010 Yukon going into my 07 1500, the reason they gave was that it is the wrong radio for the truck. I was charged an hours labor for their efforts. Any ideas of how they messed up the VIN relearn or is this workaround no longer valid?
Old February 10th, 2020, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

Matthew,
The Chevy dealership I used tried for over 3 hours to unlock my radio. The radio was from a one owner 2007 Tahoe and was working when it was removed. They told me that some radios get permanently locked for some reason and they can not unlock them. Sounded fishy to me so I reluctantly bought another ebay unit. The second one unlocked with no problems at the same dealership using the same procedures.
Old February 10th, 2020, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Update on this. After reading the service notes the tech made, I see what happened here. In his own words " attempted to program radio part number did not match attempted to program with two similar part numbers would not flash wrong radio for truck".
My gauges are all in metric now as well. I'm currently dealing with their service manager to explain the situation. I hope that going through the actual process a second time does the trick since it looks like it is not how the tech went about it before.

More trips to the dealership and I discovered that a step has been removed from the tech2 software. Current versions dont allow for the VIN reset, NAO v30.004 or older is needed to get access to this option.

Last edited by Matthew Nies; February 26th, 2020 at 7:58 PM. Reason: new info about Tech2 software

Quick Reply: Unlocking a NAV after installation