Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Unlocking a NAV after installation

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2009, 6:23 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Unlocking a NAV after installation

Originally Posted by epagidas
Shawnvw,

I was wondering if you can help me out. I have an 08' silverado and I have the LTZ package with the Bose option. I am installing a nav unit from a 2007 suburban with the Bose option as well #15940102. I have the wiring harness for the VCIM and VSS and the GPS antenna. So I am all set on this.
Here is my question:
What is the latest on the programming by the dealer to unlock it once I install everything?
I have read all of the threads and can't get a clear picture of what the dealer ahs to choose to complete the unlock process. Can you let me know what I need to tell the dealer to do?

I am going there this Monday hopefully I can hear from you before then.

Thank you in advance,
Steve

I'm posting this PM in hopes that other people will get to read it. I get the question quite often. This applies to all 07\08+ navs

When the installation is complete, turn the key to the on position, If the display says LOCKED or THEFTLOCK, then proceed with the following instructions.

Bring your vehicle into the dealer, and have them program the radio using Pass-Through programming using TIS2WEB. Select "Replace & Reprogram" on the first screen.
Go through all the prompts selecting the year\make\model of the vehicle
You will then be asked if the vehicle has a back-up camera or not, which amp it has, and speaker package
Check the glove compartment for the correct RPO codes.
After programming is complete, turn the key off, open the door, and then start the vehicle. If it still says LOCKED or THEFTLOCK, then proceed with the next step, otherwise, you are done.

Using the TECH2, select DIagnostic, 2006, Chevrolet, W Body, Monte Carlo LTZ, Body & Accessories, Entertainment, Module Setup, Radio, VIN Relearn, and when asked to clear theft information, select yes.
Radio display should change to NO VIN. Turn off key, turn off TECH2, Open the drivers door, and start the vehicle with the key. Everything be working as of now.

This does not "Trick" the vehicle to think it is a monte carlo. It doesn't program any module in the vehicle as a monte carlo etc etc etc......All this procedure does is activate the VIN Relearn function in the TECH2, and tells the radio to clear the previous VIN that has been stored in the memory, and upon the next key cycle, learn the VIN of the new vehicle
Old February 8th, 2009, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shawnvw,

Thanks so much for this!!

I have a question though does the first procedure that you mention also relearn the VIN?
Or is it only the second one?

Thanks again,
Steve
Old May 29th, 2009, 6:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Nav unlock?

shawnvw,

My Suburban did not come with the nav radio, so I purchased it from ebay. After having it installed at a dealership they could not get it to unlock. I printed off your directions about programming it as a Monte Carlo (from an earlier post in 2008), but their Tech2 would not allow them to do it. They said they could not select any other vehicle besides my suburban. I have not had them try this other method mentioned in this post. Any ideas, or am I out of luck?
Old May 29th, 2009, 8:28 PM
Banned

Make sure they aren't trying to SPS the radio as a monte carlo.
That process is used with the Tech2 ONLY
Old May 30th, 2009, 7:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Dealership Directions

shawnvw,

Would you suggest printing off your directions and bringing them into a dealership? Is there anything else they would need to know about the process. The dealership I will be taking it to now will not have had any experience with this install. Everything will have been done at a different dealership. The dealership in Tacoma spent 3 hours on the phone with GM techs and couldn't get anything to work. Thanks again for your help, I was very disappointed when they called back and said it would not unlock! At least now there is hope?

James
Old May 30th, 2009, 9:09 PM
Banned

yea, I would just print them off and give it to the techs
Old June 2nd, 2009, 9:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Why so difficult?

shawnvw,

I have the instructions printed off to take with my suburban tomorrow. I do not understand the process that is required, but why is this so difficult? It would seem that trained technicians would have the ability to get this done. Why can't they get help from the GM tech line? By the threads in this forum, there is obviously a need for this type of installation.

James
Old June 2nd, 2009, 7:39 PM
Banned

GM does know about this issue and have even released a technical service bulletin on the issue.
Any tech who reads what I wrote, should know exactly what to do. If they don't understand it, take your truck somewhere else
Old June 2nd, 2009, 7:40 PM
Banned

#PIT4007D: Radio Displays LOCKED After SPS Programming - (Aug 11, 2008)

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Subject:</TD><TD vAlign=top>Radio Displays "LOCKED" After SPS Programming</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Models:</TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2008-2009 Hummer H2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR>This PI was superseded tp update model years and text. Please discard PIT4007C.
<HR>The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2178477&from=sm#ss1-2178477">Condition/Concern:

Some technicians may find that after SPS programming a replacement radio the display will show "LOCKED" or "THEFT LOCK". The radio theft deterrent system disables radio functionality if the VIN information sent by the BCM does not match the vehicle VIN information contained in the radio. The radio compares its learned VIN information to the VIN learned in the BCM via GMLAN. If a radio is replaced or swapped from another vehicle the radio will need to relearn the VIN information before it will function. The radio learns the VIN information during the SPS programming event.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2178477&from=sm#ss2-2178477">Recommendation/Instructions:

Currently, some SPS programming events will NOT successfully learn the vehicles VIN information in the radio. Engineering is aware of this and working on a correction, however the following steps can be performed to resolve this condition if SPS programming does not unlock the radio:
  1. [*]
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step
Old June 5th, 2009, 6:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Shawnvw,

The local GM dealership was able to get the unit unlocked, but that is where the problems began. I will have more details tomorrow when I receive the detailed invoice, but will try to piece together what they said. After installing the unit and getting it unlocked, the audio in the vehicle was gone. No door chime, turn signal sound or anything. They were able to get the radio and DVD piece working, but without audio. The Nav stuff would not show up. They were not able to retrieve the part number from the head unit and so they could not reprogram the unit to work. (I know this may be way too general). Anyway, the tech mentioned that where he would expect to see an asterisk *, the code came up as a 0. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Unlocking a NAV after installation