Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Using Tahoe CD Player in another automobile?

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2008, 5:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Tahoe CD Player in another automobile?

Hello all,

After having my stereo stripped from my car AGAIN I decided that was enough, I am not dumping hundreds to thousands into my cars anymore for music.

I started my hunt for the best stock/OEM system I could find for a decent price.

The tahoe comes with a great looking base cdplayer, the best I have found thus far readily available for $50-100.

The problem is the deeper I look into it the more issues I see coming up.

The wiring harness it uses looks to be pretty standard and I think I should be able to find the wiring diagram, the issue I am worried about is the Theft Lock.

I would only be using the required terminals on the cd player (power,speakers,ground ect) but it appears it verifys the VIN somehow and if that doesn't match it will lock up, does anyone know if this can be bypassed or if it just doesn't get a vin signal will it still lock?

This cd player also looks basically the same as a few other cars including the cobalt, does anyone know if they all share the same theft lock system?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:04 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Using Tahoe CD Player in another automobile?

The current OEM GM radios utilize the GM LAN BUS, there is no easy way to make one work properly in a vehicle that it was designed to be in.
Old April 4th, 2008, 2:09 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Using Tahoe CD Player in another automobile?

It is possible, but may take some research finding parts and getting them to work.
The company I work for, makes modules that will imitate the Lan-bus system found in GM vehicles. Although they are not for sale to the public. Ever seen an XM display in the showroom at the local dealer? It uses the radio in your picture, a factory DRR, and this module that will allow both to work.
If you could find one for sale, maybe on ebay or something similar, then it would be just a matter of getting the parts to fit, and getting the unit out of theft-lock