Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

What battery are you using in your '07 Tahoe?

Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

After being let down for the umtenth time by my AC Delco professional series battery for my 07 Tahoe I decided to replace it (This makes battery #4)
I was going to get the Optima Yellow Top at Sam's Club and I saw they had the Energizer brand AGM's
The Energizer AGM (H6-LN3 AGM)had more CCA and reserve capacity then the Optima and defiantly more then the OEM.
The Energizer was 760 CCA and 120 reserve , the Optima was 650 CCA and 98 reserve, and was about $25 cheaper

Wow what a difference in the crank!
It really sounds a whole lot stronger on the start... I will give it a good charge, drive it for a few days and then test it with about a 15 minutes KOEO with lights and see how it does... just a few cycles (4-5) of unlocking and locking the doors with the head lights coming on for 30 seconds at each unlock would kill the Delco low enough to not start...

Stay tuned as I will keep the updates coming
Old May 24th, 2015, 10:32 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Im the same as you, I don't like AC delco batts. I switched to dual Optima yellow tops, and I've been fine ever since for about 4.5 years so far. I wish the Optima yellow tops, model D35 that I am using had more CCA's even though I have two of them, lol. I'm a CCA *****! lol!
Old May 24th, 2015, 11:26 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd want to point out that if you're experiencing frequent dead battery issues, this is most likely an ECM issue. My mid-2007 Tahoe had this problem. For no reason I'd come out of work in the afternoon, put the key in, an nuthin'. This was traced to a bug in the ECM firmware. A reflash with the latest revision cured the problem. Also, please note that if you have a situation where you have the key in the ignition in the Accessory position, the Body Control Module is on and the entire vehicle is active. The sound system is "on" whether you have audio or not, and all of the sensors, and communication bus are active. Even when you take the key out, the BCM stays active for 10 minutes(I think). So doing things like waxing the body while listening to the vehicle's sound system is very taxing in the battery.

Last edited by Hardin Thicke; May 24th, 2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old May 24th, 2015, 2:27 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

This last OEM battery is the one that seem to give me the most grief, past batteries would just be dead. The last AC Delco one was extremely sensitive to discharge, simply leaving the rear hatch open to vacuum out the vehicle with only the interior lights on LED mind you, and I would get a weak or no start.

I may have inaccuracy compared the Energizer to the Yellow Top, the Yellow top is a Deep Cycle, the Energizer I believe, is more on par with the Red Top Optima...

At least this morning the charge indication was sitting at 14 rather then past it like it usually had.. I think the AC Delco took a discharge hit a some point in the past and just never fully recovered from it...