Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

what is up with the timing

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2006, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is up with the timing

I have a 96 with a 5.7 V8, i blew a intake gasket last week, water just coming out of the intake.
I got it all back together and i am ready to time the distibitor and the tag tells me thier is no ajustment and the computer will do that and the idle. i have unpluged the plug behind the distibitor and i still cant get the timing to go to -0-. the truck runs good. I am worried that thier maybe no ajustment but is thier a way i have to have it set so the computer dosent have to work so hard.

thanks
Old September 17th, 2006, 9:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what is up with the timing

The distributor on those engines are really a cam sensor and have to be set to 0° offset with a scanner thru the DLC port.
You can get it really close if not spot on by lining up the paint index marks applied @ the factory. Use a mirror and look at the
base of the dist. and intake at the back of the engine. There will be a white paint mark if you didn't clean it off during the repair.
Good Luck,Steve