Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

What would you like to see done differently?

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2006, 1:58 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts
Default RE: What would you like to see done differently?

I think it's restricted by the dog leg (rear wheel incursion). The way to get a window that rolls down completely is like the TrailBlazer does it. The rear three inches is fixed and that allows the rest of the window to go all the way down.
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:50 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZX,

My personal wish list letter to Santa GM:

1. Fold flat/into the floor 3rd row seats. Mine are currently in the garage which is probably where they will stay until I sell the Tahoe as the convenience of the 3rd row seat is completely lost if it’s not there when you need it. Yes, I know there are physical space trade offs (and obviously major retooling involved), but this is honest feedback. I was really considering the Expedition for just this feature (but overall just did not like the look/handling of the Expedition so the Tahoe won)
2. Power folding mirrors (DL3) option available across all trim levels or at minimum a dealer install kit (like remote start). This one seems so basic to me considering the number of people with single door garages (8’) that otherwise have to get out and manually fold mirrors. (I was considering the Suburban and would have gone that route except I measured the length & it was too long for my garage, so I went with the Tahoe knowing it's length was ok - didn't even think width would be an issue DoH!) Perhaps the best course here is to make the DL3 standard.
3. 2nd row reclining buckets available in cloth under LS/1LT trim.
4. Hidden storage in the rear (really miss this from my old 1998 Durango) specifically somewhere to stash emergency road service stuff – (e.g., folding lug wrench, tools, 12v compressor, poncho, rags, etc.) The small bin in the left side is of little value
5. Rear door windows that completely retract (my kids hate the ½ down config)
6. 20” polished wheels available across all trim lines like originally released (as I understand it you can now only get the 20” polished with 3LT/LTZ trim and 20” painted (ugly) wheels on the 2LT)

Ps. I really like this Tahoe. Though not everything to everyone its handling/ road feel/ braking are far superior to my former Durango. GM should be able to continue to evolve the large SUV and still have a significant market for it.
Old November 29th, 2006, 2:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: marsalisjr

Thanks for the explanation Dave.

I haven't added to this thread since I love my Tahoe and only have two complaints.

One is the 3rd row seat but I understand the limitations of space. I can take out my 3rd row and have much more room than I'd have if it was a fold to floor level design.

Two..... The rear window. I assume there is something in the back doors that keep the window from going past 40% down but it would be great if this issue was resolved. It's really embarrassing to have someone in the back seat who can't roll the window down more than 9 inches. I know if it was an easy fix Chevy would have it taken care of so I'm curious to understand the explanation.

Thx
Doesn't the rear windows on the Suburban go all the way down? Is there a way to modify them like the Suburban? Guess ZX would have insight!
Old November 29th, 2006, 4:10 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

73shark addressed the rear door side windows just a couple of posts above.
The rear doors on the Tahoe are not large enough to accommodate the window tracks and hardware that would allow the glass to retract all the way down due to the rear wheel well housing incursion, the Suburban has a longer wheel base and a full square door with no wheel incursion and plenty of room for the glass to travel all the way down.
Old November 29th, 2006, 4:10 PM
CF Junior Member

The only reason i got my 07 Tahoe is cos its mod friendly...you can tune the pcm for anything and the aftermarket loves it for the unlocked pcm... other than that its a complete flop once all the hype dies down sales will go down 4sure ..the interior sucks big time.. i hate the no style black gauges i hate the 60-40 split second row i hate big SUVs with ZERO storage space and i hate the fact its not fold flat third row.....GM should start looking at what the competition is doing… yes Im a lil disappointed.

Old November 29th, 2006, 4:14 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're right, we should start building it like the Expedition and then watch our sales mirror theirs as well.
The Tahoe is the #1 selling SUV in the world!
It has room for improvement but GM needs not take lessons from other companies in this segment.
Old November 29th, 2006, 4:34 PM
CF Active Member

Black:

While I do respect your opinion, I wonder why you purchased this vehicle. FYI they do have other seating options, I have second row bucket seats. As far as storage goes, GM makes a vehicle that is remarkably similar to the Tahoe, but has more storage behind the third row, it's called the Chevy Suburban. If that doesn't suit your fancy, GM also makes the Yukon XL and the Cadillac Escalade ESV, all have more storage space. Before you go saying price was an issue, I want you to know that I could have purchased a Suburban comparably equipped to my loaded Tahoe, for around 1K more.

Dave:

I have a friend of mine that works closely with GM, he told me that 1.3 million vehicles will be built on the GMT 900 platform this year. I for one don't think that 1.3 million people would purchase these vehicles if they had the same opinion as Black.

Jason
Old November 29th, 2006, 4:58 PM
CF Junior Member

I have to say that I am very happy with my 2007 LTZ. I am amazed at the nit picking that is done by some on this board. If you want Denali trim, buy a Denali...and if you want Escalade lights, buy the Escalade. My Tahoe replaced my 2004 Escalade. I was unhappy with the replacement cost of a 2007 Escalade. My dealer sells both Chevy and Caddy. He showed me the Tahoe LTZ with the new Chrome package and saved me thousands of dollars. I love this truck and feel good that I got such a great looking truck and saved so much money. I parked next to a new Escalade the other day and had to laugh that they were so similar.
Also...special thanks to Dave ZX for explaining and educating us about all the attributes of this vehicle, and the reasons for them.
Enjoy the ride.
Old November 29th, 2006, 5:07 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: jasonw75

Black:

While I do respect your opinion, I wonder why you purchased this vehicle. FYI they do have other seating options, I have second row bucket seats. As far as storage goes, GM makes a vehicle that is remarkably similar to the Tahoe, but has more storage behind the third row, it's called the Chevy Suburban. If that doesn't suit your fancy, GM also makes the Yukon XL and the Cadillac Escalade ESV, all have more storage space. Before you go saying price was an issue, I want you to know that I could have purchased a Suburban comparably equipped to my loaded Tahoe, for around 1K more.

Dave:

I have a friend of mine that works closely with GM, he told me that 1.3 million vehicles will be built on the GMT 900 platform this year. I for one don't think that 1.3 million people would purchase these vehicles if they had the same opinion as Black.

Jason

ok let me get this so Jason what ur saying is if i wanted storage space i have to buy an even bigger GM truck?? why whats wrong with the Tahoe its big its fat and its an SUV ...with no frigin storage space..

maybe i got used to my Durango R/T that had everything i wanted with half the size of the Tahoe

Old November 29th, 2006, 5:25 PM
CF Active Member

Black:

All I'm saying is GM took care of both ppl who needed space and ppl who want the more sporty look of the Tahoe and don't need the extra space. Myself, I regret that I didn't wait for the Suburban, because I too would like more space. However, I'm not going to complain that this vehicle lacks space knowing GM has provided three different vehicles at least with more storage space in the same price range. I don't think the Tahoe or Suburban is perfect. As you can see, I too responded above with things I personally would like to see changed, however to compare a Durango RT to a vehicle as finely engineered as the GMT 900 vehicles are is a pretty serious slap in the face to those of us who love our Hoes!!!

Jason