Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

When do I need an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2014, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When do I need an oil change?

I have a new 2013 Suburban, 5 months old, 4200 miles, oil indicator life says 43%. I am driving on a 1000 mile trip this week. My significant other says change the oil tomorrow.

Any suggestions welcome.
Old March 20th, 2014, 9:13 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
Its your call, how does the oil look? is it dark but see through? is it at the correct level?

I recommend to NOT change your oil just prior to a road trip, and its not the oil change but any kind of critical maintenance. Its best to avoid doing maintenance just before a trip because you don't know what could accidentally get left off, out or loose... and you don't want any of them rearing their ugly heads when you are away from your home turf...
If the oil looks good and is at the correct level, I say wait till you get back, then do the oil change....
Do be sure to top off your wiper fluid and do bring an unopened quart of oil with you so you have it on the road should you need to add any after an extended period of driving... some oil consumption is normal on a long drive at highway speeds....
Old March 20th, 2014, 9:22 PM
Administrator

I would also add that there are some that believe it best to change out the factory oil after the first 500-700 miles as its considered "break-in" oil and is more likely to contain more debris from the engine assembly process....

I would also recommend going with a full synthetic oil, it cost more, but since you use the OLMS you won't be changing your oil but 2 times a year, so the cost is negligible I think for the benefits of better gas mileage and better oil life...
Old March 20th, 2014, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks. I will check the oil level tomorrow and look at the color. Good advice about carrying extra oil.

Interestingly, the dealer had this open house where they invite you to come in after owning 30 days, they check it out, etc. I put 500 miles on it the first week I had it cause I needed to tow my horse trailer soon after. So it had 600 -1000 miles at that 30 day mark and they didn't change the oil or mention changing the oil.
Old March 20th, 2014, 9:34 PM
Administrator

I don't think its a recommended item any more, its more of an old school thing...
Old March 20th, 2014, 9:39 PM
CF Junior Member

I hate to disagree, but I'd change it. Brand new vehicle with over 4,000 miles, headed on a long highway trip, I'd get fresh oil in and feel confident about it.

As to not doing maintenance before a trip - 1st time I've ever heard that. What are you going to leave out, off, or loose? If you change oil, you can leave the plug or the oil filter loose and leak oil. You'll see the drip in the first few minutes of running.

Not trying to argue, you give lots of great advice here, just not sure I would approach it the way you suggest.
Old March 20th, 2014, 9:40 PM
CF Junior Member

I agree, the days of break in oil have passed. Still, I would not go full interval on a 1st oil change on any vehicle.
Old March 20th, 2014, 9:56 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dave01
I hate to disagree, but I'd change it. Brand new vehicle with over 4,000 miles, headed on a long highway trip, I'd get fresh oil in and feel confident about it.

As to not doing maintenance before a trip - 1st time I've ever heard that. What are you going to leave out, off, or loose? If you change oil, you can leave the plug or the oil filter loose and leak oil. You'll see the drip in the first few minutes of running.

Not trying to argue, you give lots of great advice here, just not sure I would approach it the way you suggest.

No problem, its all good, discussions is what the forum is about

If the plug or filter is loose and and starts leaking badly while on the highway for say 200+ miles you might not know it till the oil light comes on... you really don't want that on a long stretch of lonely dark highway... or worse, it breaks down 500 miles away from home and you have no choice but to take it to Sketchy Jake's garage and emporium...

Sure things can happen at any time, but my suggestion is don't create potential problems if you don't need to right away...

I guess I should add my lesson learned.. many years back I repacked my front wheel bearings just the day before a 500 mile trip, sure enough I got the passenger side just a bit too tight or loose and it let go on an empty stretch of I-35 between Dallas and Hillsboro... had to pay for the tow and the repair, had I waited till I got back and done the work, I might have caught it going back and forth to work or the store or some other short trip in town and been able to address it in my own driveway...
Old March 20th, 2014, 10:14 PM
CF Junior Member

I doubt anyone loads up the car for the trip, stops for the oil change, and keeps going. You get the oil changed and go home, heading out later that day or in the next few days. If you have a bad oil leak from filter or plug it will be visible in the driveway.

Bank of Dad (by the way, I chuckled at your handle!), do you change the oil yourself or have it done elsewhere? Do you have free oil changes with your warranty?