Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

WHO'S PULLING BOATS

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2008, 3:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHO'S PULLING BOATS

For you guys who are pulling boats, particulary "bass boats". What height is your Hitch Ball Mount Assembly? I have a 07 with the stock 20's. I was thinking maybe 2" drop 3/4" rise. This truck just seems so high.
Old March 16th, 2008, 11:13 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: WHO'S PULLING BOATS

I pull a 22' run-a-bout and use a 4" drop to attain the perfect angle ride angle which is the nose of the trailer just slightly higher then the rear.
But each trailer uses a different design so you want to make sure to do some measurements so that you get the proper hitch.
Old March 16th, 2008, 3:21 PM
CF Active Member

I pull around a 19' Crownline on a Prestige trailer. I use a 4 1/2" drop, which makes the trailer sit a little high in the front. ZX, I always thought that you wanted the nose of the trailer to be slightly lower than the rear. This creates more weight downward on the ball which reduces the chances of the trailer popping off the ball. Plus with the rear sitting lower than the front you have a better chance of damaging the outdrive of the boat when going over dips in the road.

Anyhow, I wish mine sat a little lower than it does with the 4 1/2" drop. However, each setup is different - trailer, vehicle, tongue, etc. I have the LTZ with the Autoride suspension which is supposed to help level out the rear upon a trailer load. I still came up with a 1" deflection of the rear when the weight of the tongue was applied. If you have a setup to test your measurements, effects of weight, etc. I would recommend taking measurements with the trailer/boat attached.This will give you a better idea of how it will actually sit instead of taking measurements from how it should theoretically sit. Measure, measure, measure, then go buy the correct drop for your setp.
Old March 16th, 2008, 4:31 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

I use an 8" drop for a Nationwide trailer for my jet ski. Works out so the trailer is level. Used on another friend's trailer and it was level also.
Old March 16th, 2008, 4:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks guys, I finally made some room in my garage & need to pick it up from storage which is 70 miles from me and makes it hard to figure out what I need. I think I'll purchased a 3 1/2" & 4" drop and take back the one I don't need. The 2" is defnitely going to be too high.
Old March 17th, 2008, 6:38 AM
CF Beginner

I pull a 2000 Ranger R81 18'6" Bass boat andI use a 6" drop, the measurement from the ground to the to the top of the ball is 18".The trailer has 14" wheels and tires.

Itried a 2", 4" and found the 6" is perfect fit for the trailer.
Old March 17th, 2008, 8:19 AM
CF Active Member

My 2007 Tahoe is much higher then my 2000 Tahoe. To pull one of the lightweight 8' trailers you see in a Lowes I had to find a 9 inch drop. I can't remember the stores nameI bought it from but it was a dot.com store that just happenned to be by where my kids hockey team plays. They had a formula also for how much weight ability you lose for the drop you end up needing and it was substantial so pay attention. I'll try to stop in there soon and get the information. I have 4 different ***** with different drops as I have a 28' pontoon and a 17.5 bass boatalong with the utility trailer.

G..
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:42 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmitchell

ZX, I always thought that you wanted the nose of the trailer to be slightly lower than the rear. This creates more weight downward on the ball which reduces the chances of the trailer popping off the ball. Plus with the rear sitting lower than the front you have a better chance of damaging the outdrive of the boat when going over dips in the road.

Like I said each trailer is different, on my specific boat/trailer combo if I set it up so that the trailer rides level or nose low then the trailer has a tendency to sway.
If you have your outdrive up all the way and a good ball/coupler you will not risk dragging the drive or losing the trailer, I recommend that you do not set-up a trailer with those two things in mind, you actually want the tongue weight set at exactly 6% of the total trailer weight and the trailer riding level or slightly nose high if anything, nose low is bad and generally means that you either have too much tongue weight or a not enough truck.
Old March 17th, 2008, 8:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for all the replys . Hey, Guvner which 1 do you use on your bass boat? Mine is also 17.5
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

ZX,

Related to this topic, (I'll start a new topic if you suggest) is there any guidance from GM on maximum trailer size? -In my case,a travel trailer. I know thereare ratings for tongue weight, trailer weight, etc.. However, is there any restrictions or guidance related to trailer length? I have always been concerned about the length of a trailer related to the wheelbase of the tow vehicle. Since the Tahoe has a fairly short wheelbase (compared to Silverado/Suburban) I would expect lane drift and/or"trailer push"to be worse than longer wheelbase vehicles - considering cross wind, tractor trailers, etc..

Thanks!

Quick Reply: WHO'S PULLING BOATS