Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Window Rattle - Defect

Old February 25th, 2013, 8:30 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Window Rattle - Defect

Can someone do me a quick test on their Tahoe / Suburban?

Put a window (any window) down 4-5". Now grab it and shake it.

I, like many people, I assume, like to drive with my windows partially open. It's fun, refreshing, and hey, it's a car, right?

However GM had other ideas. They've never head of someone doing something so silly as only opening a window part way while driving their vehicle. I know this because ALL FOUR of my windows, from DAY ONE have rattled over EVERY bump in the road. Reducing my $55k Tahoe to the $5.00 piece of $hit that it is.

So, my question to the Tahoe owning masses; Either I am the only human in all of history who would like to drive with their window(s) partially down. Or I just got the really special Tahoe that was complete junk from the factory.

I've never seen window rattle this bad in a 1987, in a 1990, or even a $15,000 used Civic I rode in last week.

So, Post up, I'll get a video if I get a chance here, and I still loathe my Tahoe.
Old February 25th, 2013, 6:35 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive with mine 1/2 up-down all the time, no rattles.

Your Hoe is very special.
Old February 25th, 2013, 8:37 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

I have a 99 Silverado and always drive with windows partially down with absolutely no rattles. Even now at 14 years old and 175,000 miles. No rattles. I am glad that I am not special.
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

No shake/rattle on mine. Are the "whiskers" missing from the channels?
Old February 26th, 2013, 3:09 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Have you had your regulators replaced? maybe a bushing or washer was left out?
Old February 28th, 2013, 1:27 PM
CF Addict

Default regulators

I don't think so, but who knows. It's all 4 windows, since new.
Old February 28th, 2013, 3:56 PM
Administrator

I went out and just checked mine, its pretty solid pushing in and out and pulling it upwards as well as rocking front to back...

I did remove my outer seal or "hockey stick" equivalent for the front windows and cleaned them a while back and WOW what a difference it made for them going up/down and stopped the squeal and squeak I was getting

Lower the window a couple of inches to take the load off the bar and it lifts out pretty easily, rinsed and scrubbed it with a plastic brush and water, also crimped the metal clip that runs the entire length just a bit to give it a good solid hold when back in place...
Old February 28th, 2013, 8:12 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

My rear windows rattle and have since I had it.
Old March 15th, 2013, 8:01 AM
CF Addict

Default Dealer

Went the dealer, they said everything checks out. And tried to hand me a bill for $70.00.

I said, wait. I came here for a FIX. If you FIXED it, I would pay you. I'm not paying you to tell me that GM built a piece of $hit. I already knew that. You've wasted 2 hours of my life, done nothing and now you want me to pay you?

Smart decision on their side to waive the bill.

So, I said, I'll look at it. I will fix GMs mistakes. (or at least try, god knows they make about 200 a day)... a cheaper version of the Corvette! yea, that's fracking genius.

Anyway. the windows appear to be gently located in place by some rubber weather stripping. Clearly purchased at a garage sale 20 years ago from the seediest parts of a back alley in China. Someone had the spec right, and some bean counter fudged it all up.

So, in order to hold my windows tighter than I held my 9mm at the range the other night, I thought hmmm... what if I add something between the door and the overly soft cheap material that GM used to hold the glass in place? TA-DA went to wal-mart and $3.00 later in weather stripping, I had a plan. (the 1/4" weather stripping, it was grey I think).

I put the front windows down, used a small door trim removal tool, and peeled away the existing rubber strip (NOT off the door, just so that I could get behind it) the part that touches the glass.

I removed the sticky part of the walmart weather stripping. Placing it behind the rubber part that touches the glass. You have to do about 1-2" at a time, but it can be one long strip.

So, I used appprox 4' of weather stripping, which is completely concealed behind the rubber strip from GM's left over parts department.

And I am proud to state that $3.00 fixed what GMs $55,000 SUV could not. Cheap rubber weather stripping. My guess is that since new it was crap, but time has fatigued it.

So, now, driving over anything at speed or even in high wind conditions with the windows 1/2 open, means... DEAD SILENCE from the windows there are still some conditions which cause window noise, but I've eliminated 99% of them. thus, I'm slightly less pissed about my General Mound of Crap.

I haven't found a solution to the rear windows yet, or the various random rattles in the truck, but I assume you, I am smarter and more driven than GM is.
Old March 15th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Administrator

My fronts are pretty sound... the rears do have some play after checking all 4 windows the other day... but none rattle or make any noticeable noise or sound in general use....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window Rattle - Defect