Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

WIPER ISSUES!?!

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2007, 11:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WIPER ISSUES!?!

Hey everyone,
I am new at this forum. I have an 07 LTZ with 2600 miles on it. I have gone through 3 sets of wiper blades.I dont understand why my wipers will keep on skipping across the glass. This has happened since day 1. I bought new wipers 4 days after picking it up, thinking that they were "old" from sitting on the dealer lot. Replaced them, they worked great for 2 hours then starting skipping again. So now im pissed the blades are about 24 bucks a piece!!! I then tried rain-x thinking that would help...nope! then degreaser to clean any contaminants that the glass might have had...nope didnt work....then i bought another pain....works better but still skips....very frustrating and kinda embarassing... $50k truck with Sh*ty wipers! Has anyone experienced this? anyone have a fix? dealer is clueless (like always, kinda hard to duplicate when its not raining)?

very frustrated!

thanks
whitetie[]
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts
Default RE: WIPER ISSUES!?!

I too was a little dismayed when I saw the unique mounting system and the $20 price tag. But I did what ZX recommended and that was to clean the blades every time I wash the truck. Truck is 16 mo. old with 11K on it and original blades. I do use Rain-X also.
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm happy to say, our '07 Tahoe LT3, bought Sept. 2006, now has over 24k miles on it, and we've never had any problems with the wipers. We're in the Seattle area, so they definitely get used here.
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:44 AM
CF Beginner

Sounds like you keep getting wax on your windshield. Do you go through a car wash which sprays some type of wax onto the car? Or if you hand wash, does the soap have wax in it? Try washing your entire windsheild with dish washing detergent and carefully clean it with rubbing alcohol and don't wash the car untill you have a chance to test it. You're best off doing this when you know it's going to rain. Check the weather!
Old September 18th, 2007, 9:34 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually when the wiper blades skip across the glass it is caused by contamination on the glass (possibly wax) or sometimes just oily road grime accumulation.

The best way to get things working properly is to clean the windshield with a common cleaner; Bon Ami is what GM recommends and at the same time also clean the wiper blades with a soft cloth soaked with clean washer fluid.

Don't waste money replacing wiper blades unless they leave streaks across the glass during use, they will do this if the sharp edge becomes damaged.
Old September 21st, 2007, 11:15 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the input guys! good ideas....rained like cats and dogs here....they worked perfectly once and for all....i think the car wash i was taking it too.they use a "streak free rinse" crap I guess
Old September 22nd, 2007, 12:01 AM
CF Beginner

Did you do anything to clean the glass or wipers before the rain, or did they randomly stop skidding?
Old September 22nd, 2007, 12:04 PM
CF Active Member

It wouldn't have been the spot free rinse as this is reverse osmosis water with virtually zero impurities. Depending on the wash you may have received a clear coat protectant ora gloss wax; both of which would have contributed to the skipping issue. Build-up of wax on a windshield will also become noticable when the wipers run accross and the area behind the wiper "clouds". Cleaning the windshield as mentioned by others in this post is important. Another good measure is to take off the blades and give them a good wipe with a cloth soaked in vinager.