Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

ZX pls help - Random Stabilitrak Off Message

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2006, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZX pls help - Random Stabilitrak Off Message

ZX,

On my Tahoe, I get a "stabilitrak off" message on the DIC and a fast alarm "ding" tone. It happens momentarily then disappears roughly twice a day.

No codes get set, the dealer is stumped and I'm getting worried.

Right now I have a special data recording "can" connected to the computer interface to attempt to record the problem when it happens.

Have you seen this before from the field? Is there anything that I can do to help the dealership isolate the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Old December 13th, 2006, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: ZX pls help - Random Stabilitrak Off Message

ZX, are you there :-)
Old December 13th, 2006, 5:28 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they check the switch on the lower part of your IP?
Could be faulty.

I have seen purses and other things bump the switch as well.
Old December 14th, 2006, 2:27 AM
CF Beginner

Hi ZX,

Appreciate the response. Chev Dealer downloaded the contents of the recording device and saw a few anomalies with ENG RPM (8000?)...Anyway, they are still stumped.

I cycled the Stabilitrak switch myself a few times (EE in me I guess) but you are right, it may be faulty. I'll have them look at it again tomorrow morning.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help. We all appreciate your support.

This is a damn good SUV, it will get fixed.

Regards,
Jim
Old December 14th, 2006, 11:54 PM
CF Junior Member

I got my Tahoe back on Tuesday with the answer of the vent hose on the intake came off, causing the Stabilitrac service light and hard 1st to 2nd gear shift. Oddly enough the scanned the car last thursday and called Tech line and was told it is probably a short. I am just waiting for it to come back on. Luckly a new Chevy dealer is opening up around the corner from my house, so we will see how they work out.
Old December 15th, 2006, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

LV,

Thanks for the info. This could help me trace this problem but I'm trying to make sense of a vaccum leak causing this...I guess it's possible.

BTW, ZX, when the traction control switch is activated, the DIC reads "Traction Control Off". I am getting the DIC warning "Stabilitrack Off".

Could this *possibly* be that the processor/module responsible for Stabilitrak has suffered an exceptoion, so it re-boots itself hence the "stabilitrak off" message on the DIC?

I wish I had the Systems Architecture for this so I could help figure it out.

I am thinking that there is software corruption and the module either needs to be re-flashed or replaced. I don't think that it is a wheel sensor/other system issue.

Thoughts?

Jim
Old January 21st, 2007, 6:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My service stabiltrak light and check engine came on again last night. I remote started the tahoe and it didnt start, no biggie at that point it does that sometimes. but when i got in the truck to start it, it had a hard time starting, which is what happens with this problem. I repeatedly turned off the 'Hoe and turned it on, still did not reset its the stabilitrak light or check engine. So I drove a little bit pulled over and tried again to restart, still nothing. When I got home, i let the 'Hoe sit over night in hopes it'll reset, still nothing. The first time i brought it in for this problem they said there was a service bulletin about wires in the right b-pilar chaffing and causing the service stabiltrak light and check engine light on. Now the problem is back again, so jbcobb, was your problem ever resolved? and if so, did they explain to you the cause and solution? THanks!
Old January 22nd, 2007, 2:47 PM
CF Junior Member

My Stablilitrac and Check engine light have come on again last night, its been in the shop numerous times for this issue. The lastest reason is when the lean running condition faults are coming on, it will shut down systems to help the vehicle still run correctly, thus the stabilitrac is shut off.

I work for an import dealer, and have never heard of safety systems shutting down for lean running conditions, Ive only heard of systems shutting down for voltage issues
Old January 22nd, 2007, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

My issue is still not fixed. Now, I am also getting "PARK ASSIST OFF" occasionally while driving. Perhaps as ZX earlier suggested, the Switch Console that houses the Stabilitak and Park Assist switches might be faulty. For some reason when the data collection device that the dealer plugged into the computer port is on, this does not seem to happen.

The Tahoe is going to the dealer this week to see of they can fix it.

This is bothering me because I love this truck, it's awesome, well built and capable.

Old January 23rd, 2007, 6:46 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the reply, I'm bringing mine in on Friday, I'll keep this post updated with my findings. I feel the same way, I love this truck just wish it wasnt so buggy. This is my first american vehicle, sometimes with all the trouble I've had so far, i kinda wish i went japanese or euro.

Quick Reply: ZX pls help - Random Stabilitrak Off Message