Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2007 Instrument Cluster Repair

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2020, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, but not looking so much for parts, Only part I am missing is the driver chip for the display. Got the Mosfet. Really looking for pin out on the harness conn. It's 115 in AZ so I would like to not have to go back to the vehicle to test it or sit in the heat for 30 min ringing out every pin. Also not sure if connections can be powered up on the harness to take measurements without a load on them. I tried DFW cluster who said that they had posted a pinout but was waiting on Mods to approve. I have called their number and emailed or facebooked them with no response. Would greatly appreciate if any one has the pinout on the 20pin connector.

Last edited by Draxarian; July 7th, 2020 at 9:19 AM.
Old July 30th, 2020, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

It's leaded but not really by much. The part is SMD small. Also My cluster magically rejuvenated itself even for just a short while. So I am likely dealing with a bad joint or a thermally sensitive device. my vote is a cracked joint. This transistor takes the right tools. Handyman hank soldering iron won't cut it. You need a temperature controlled tip.
Old August 16th, 2020, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RedOctober
just got the official diagnostic on this issue. the issue is a MOSFET transistor on the board inside of the instrument cluster. they fail and out go your lights on the Driver Information Center and your gear selector. Get a local expert to fix this for you for $50 or so. Don't send it out for a $200 repair.

I'll have the exact model # of the transistor for this job in a few days, at which time I will post it.

I do have info on a guy in Broken Arrow, AZ that will do this for $110, so let me know if you need his contact info. But I have a feeling you will be able to get a local guy to do it for less.
I can also fix these now after fixing my own. I had to figure everything out as far as connections to test the cluster and not blow it up. It was a lot of research. I'll fix anyone's cluster display for $75 Plus shipping for fixing the PRNDL and DIC. Typically 24 hour turn around. LED color changes or Stepper repair is extra. Located in Phx AZ but service the entire USA. PM me here for details.

Last edited by Draxarian; August 16th, 2020 at 11:30 AM. Reason: corrections
Old November 30th, 2020, 10:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guys, I just developed the infamous 2007 Instrument Cluster darkness. No odometer or any info, and very dim PRD. I'm guessing what everyone is posting here is going to have to happen. My dealership that I called for the replacement, $687.00 That's a no from me dawg. Local shops still wanting $120-250 to repair the board, and that is radicicols. Going to pull the cluster, and see myself what all it looks like behind there so I can tell the shop I decide to send it too what exactly is wrong with it.

BTW I have 2 questions;
1. Besides the LL2705 MOSFET, what other transistors can you use?
2. What bulbs are you using to get such beautiful dashboards?

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Time to go pull it out.
Old December 1st, 2020, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

The cluster repair prices you were quoted isn't ridiculous. Actually very fair. More often than not there are other things wrong beside the mosfet. It isn't that simple. sometimes it's a cold solder joint on one of 40 places in the circuit chain. More often than not it isn't the mosfet. I thought it would be on mine, and it wasn't. it was several bad solder joints in the circuit.

Why look for a substitution when the correct mosfet is so available from almost every online parts house? bulbs? There aren't any bulbs in 07 forward. They are all LEDs. As for LED's again, you will need specific knowledge in how to remove them and solder new ones. They are all surface mount. SMT is much harder to work with than through lead devices. If you don't have experience with microelectronic soldering, go to Amazon and buy some PCBs to learn on. Solder something then try removing it without damaging the pads. You trash the pads on the board and it's going to be a much more expensive pro repair. Most of the nice replacements do not use the same pad configuration as the ones you are pulling off. Unlike bulbs, LED's have a polarity to them that must be observed. Also the LEDs are quite small and the pads are likewise quite small. If you try to remove them with handyman hank's soldering iron from the big box store, you will likely destroy your board. When you buy your LED's Make sure that they have a high dispersion angle. Something close to 100 degrees so that they will do a nice job of lighting the cluster overlay. Get as high of nits or lumens that you can. The brighter the better. I did my own, but I have decades experience desoldering small parts. Soldering is easier, removal is much more difficult.

So to recap, just hire a quality shop to fix it. You can tell them what you think is wrong but they are likely to not charge you less.
1. If you want to DIY. Buy a good quality, fine point soldering iron or preferably a hot air desoldering station.
2.) If the mosfet is blown, just buy the quality exact part. If you solder it down, avoid bridges, and make sure the drain tab is well soldered to the board.
3.) Source quality LEDs. I got both the FET and LEDs from Mouser electronics. Fair priced and delivered timely.
4.) Practice your soldering and desoldering skills until you feel good about them. BUY a good quality soldering iron. Don't use too much heat or board damage will occur.

If you want you can contact me at pimpmycluster.com for an estimate. Since fixing mine I have repaired a large number of them and pimped an even larger number where they wanted different color LEDS and different bezels. happy to help you, even if you want to DIY.

Last edited by Draxarian; December 1st, 2020 at 2:49 PM.
Old December 1st, 2020, 3:33 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Draxarian
The cluster repair prices you were quoted isn't ridiculous. Actually very fair.
My 03 I pulled the cluster took it locally here, repaired the PRNDL, speedometer, and added a trans temp gauge $258 about an hour.
Old December 2nd, 2020, 2:55 AM
CF Beginner

I've found shops around here doing them for $125 to $250. Some change the bulb color others don't. I work at a parts auto shop, and the replacement Doorman (599-337) is expensive, plus its a $300 core charge. However, its plug and play.

Now for me, I just pulled mine out. Took me a good hour to pull it because I didn't want to crack any plastic. I'll update as I go along.
The following users liked this post:
Draxarian (December 2nd, 2020)
Old December 2nd, 2020, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Like I said, those are in the price range. In a prior post I stated my price is $75 to repair the issue that you have or to do an LED swap is $100. Dorman's is always high on replacement parts like this. It's cheaper to simply get it repaired. If you are interested ping me.
I have outlined the process for you if you want to DIY it. I look forward to hearing how you did. Removing the cluster is modestly difficult because you have to remove the trim around the vent and the switch panel. Be cautious taking the cluster apart as the clips break very easily if you don't take it apart in the correct order. Also do NOT touch the bezel or overlay with your hands. You will leave oil on it that is very hard to get off. wear cotton gloves when handling it. There are specialized tools for needle removal so that you neither break them or mar the overlay bezel. Good luck. I'm here to help if you want to discuss sending it in.
Old December 2nd, 2020, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

Here is a recent repair and LED swap. The picture doesn't do it justice. The blue is a deep royal blue, totally gorgeous.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draxarian:
2007LTZ (December 2nd, 2020), in2pro (December 19th, 2020)
Old December 2nd, 2020, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Draxarian
Here is a recent repair and LED swap. The picture doesn't do it justice. The blue is a deep royal blue, totally gorgeous.
That looks good man! Easy on the eyes. What lights do you put in these clusters? I have gotten so many answers and would just like a strraight answer from someone whos done it haha! What type and what are the ones you have in there? Thankssss man.

Quick Reply: 2007 Instrument Cluster Repair