Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2007 Instrument Cluster Repair

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2020, 3:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is how long it should take to repair a cluster by the way in my opinion. I mean its 4 guages, and especially your speedometer, and 2 information screens.

Me and the owner at M and J Electronics are going to make this our little project. He's a graduate in this type of business with electronic repair, but I have ideas. Just gotta find the right LED's lmao I still dont know exactly.

I'm not sure if he's taking requests, but I can try to contact M and J Electronics for you if you wanna shoot me a PM. We had a ton of fun and I could tell he did too. Definitely going for gauges faces and LEDs.

Last edited by 2007LTZ; December 19th, 2020 at 3:54 AM.
Old December 19th, 2020, 7:21 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Thank you to everyone for making this post as useful as possible. As a public forum all information is provided voluntarily, please be respectful of everyone's effort to provide help to the extent that they can, that after all is what makes the forum work
The following users liked this post:
Draxarian (December 19th, 2020)
Old December 21st, 2020, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't find the LEDS? LOL so you only checked one place? Did you ever think that Mouser might not be carrying them any longer? or they are no longer available? Or the mfgr stopped making that color? Did you go to the MFGr website??? Doubt it. BTW I got mine from mouser using the mfgr part number I gave you. So stop with the attitude. Maybe you're just too lazy to to actually do any work on your own? So far that is what the PMs I am getting think. The displays are driven by 4 different components. The FET is only ONE of them. ANY of the four can cause the cluster displays to go dark. That doesn't count the dozens of solder joints that could go bad. Any one of them can also darken the displays. Having a harness means nothing if you don't know how to properly configure it to run from test equipment on a bench.

You devalue all the work so many on this forum have done to help others. Yes I have helped a lot of people to DIY their cluster. I draw the line at doing all the work for them. Everyone else has been happy with that help. You thought that for $75 I was going to fix your cluster, swap the leds, maybe swap the bezel and ship it back to you overnight. That was what you asked. in the initial request you never said you would handle the freight. BTW feel free to post all my PMs. I am fine with it. Do it. Cause you're the one that will look bad.

Just four gauges huh? Actually there are SIX on most clusters. Speedo, Tach, Oil Press, Batt, Water Temp & Fuel. I guess you probably think they are all analog gauges because they have needles? LOL. Well they aren't. They are digitally driven stepper motor controlled gauges controlled by the main Cluster CPU and a number of other component parts.. They are easily damaged if you are not experienced with them. Replacing the needles is also something that should be done with care and skill. It isn't simply putting them back pointing to the left mark. But you will find that out when you try. Maybe it won't matter to you if they are "off" just a bit. However to a shop, we can't be close. It has to be perfect. It also has to be done without scratching the bezel, or getting finger prints and oils all over the bezel. You should know the majority of clusters most of us get sent to us are DIY fails. Given your need for overnight 1 day service I told you it would be cheaper to have the repair done locally. But you felt that was too high. You compare cluster repair to a tune up. That only shows your lack of knowledge. The cluster is actually a computer with an integrated display. I mean a tune up now is just plugs, coils and wires right? A tune up to replace them on a 2007 suburban is $10/plug, $80/coil, and about $60 for wires then there is labor on top of that at about $100/hour. That is a lot more money than the $75 I offered to fix your cluster for. Heck it's a lot more than the other prices you were quoted. But you do you.

BTW if you trash your cluster law requires that the new one has to have the mileage, vin and other OEM details transferred to the new cluster. That takes an eprom reader and programmer, as well as somebody that actually knows how to use one and where in the Cluster code to enter the old cluster data and how to do it into the new one. Otherwise your vehicle is now a salvage title because the data is no longer accurate or deemed authentic.

So continue on posting how horrible everyone here is that actually fixes clusters every day. Good luck and merry Christmas.

Last edited by Draxarian; December 21st, 2020 at 12:46 PM.