Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2007 Instrument Cluster Repair

Old October 19th, 2010, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 Instrument Cluster Repair

I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ fully equipped with every option. currently 101,000 miles.

I need to replace my instrument cluster. The driver information computer screen and PRND321 lights have failed and I have read that it is a connection that is known to come loose due to a bad solder in the cluster...

I bought an instrument cluster with 2,600 miles on eBay for $20.50! Yeah, I know, great deal! Now I need to install it.. and then get it programmed??

I've been searching for an hour and can't find any DIY forum postings or anywhere on the web that shows and explains how to remove the cluster from a 2007 Tahoe. Does anyone have any knowledge as to how this is done??
Any help is appreciated.
Old October 19th, 2010, 7:09 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

see attached

see below post on how to...
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Instrument Cluster Repair-ip1.jpg   2007 Instrument Cluster Repair-ip2.jpg  

Last edited by in2pro; October 22nd, 2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: corrected reference
Old October 19th, 2010, 7:14 PM
Administrator

Preliminary Procedure
Remove the instrument panel cluster trim plate cover. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate Cover Replacement .

Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate

Retainer Clips (Qty: 4)

Preliminary Procedure
Remove the instrument panel cluster trim plate . Refer to Instrument Cluster Trim Panel Replacement .

Instrument Panel Cluster Screws (Qty: 4)

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Tighten
2 N·m (18 lb in)

Instrument Panel Cluster Assembly

Tip
A replacement cluster must be programmed. Refer to Control Module References .
Old October 20th, 2010, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

thats perfect thank you! got it out just now and i am now searching for the bad soldering connection that powers the driver info computer and the PRND321 backlighting.
good luck to me lol

thanks again
Old October 20th, 2010, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

just got the official diagnostic on this issue. the issue is a MOSFET transistor on the board inside of the instrument cluster. they fail and out go your lights on the Driver Information Center and your gear selector. Get a local expert to fix this for you for $50 or so. Don't send it out for a $200 repair.

I'll have the exact model # of the transistor for this job in a few days, at which time I will post it.

I do have info on a guy in Broken Arrow, AZ that will do this for $110, so let me know if you need his contact info. But I have a feeling you will be able to get a local guy to do it for less.
Old October 20th, 2010, 5:05 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the great follow up and if you can take pictures of the back and inside of the IP cluster and post, it may help someone else
Old October 20th, 2010, 9:15 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Hope it's a leaded component and not a SMT. SMTs are hard to replace even when u have the right equipment.
Old October 20th, 2010, 9:47 PM
Administrator

If its SMT with any significant amount of leads its pretty much a lost cause with out the proper soldering tools... thou that is the least of the worries its soldering the new part back on without burning it out or globing too much solder on and shorting out most of the leads....if its MOSFET its most likely a 3 or 4 leaded device with a small heat sink and is do-able....
Old October 22nd, 2010, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

yeah its a MOSFET. i got the official wiring schematic from GM. but i cant seem to read it well enough to find the exact transistor. if i post the schematic, do any of you think you can figure out which it is?
i see a spot on the schematic where it shows PRND321 in a box, and right under that it says "Odometer" in a box. both of which are surrounded by one main box, on the side of a dashed box that contains more stuff haha hard to explain. should i post the schematic?

local electrical guy wasnt even willing to look at it, and i havent looked for another person yet. i probably should. but havent had time yet.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:19 PM
Administrator

yes defiantly post, any and all information is helpful....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Instrument Cluster Repair