Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2007 Instrument Cluster Repair

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2010, 9:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the info on the guy in Broken Arrow that can repair the Mileage display ?
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, here it is:

AR Speedometer&Gauge Repair
28683 East 59th St.
Broken Arrow, OK 74014

Email: Alheg1@msn.com
Phone: 918-640-0659
Old October 25th, 2010, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default Gear Selector Light fades in and out on my 03 Suburban

OK guys i've read on here how to replace the cluster panel, etc. but I can't afford to do that right now. My gear selector lights sometimes goes out. I removed the cluster from my dash and messed with the wire connector on the back and got the gear selector to come back on. While reinstalling the cluster the gear selector went out again. I took the cluster back out and messed with the wire connector again and it came back on. I now know it has to be in the connector or "pin" for the gear selector. QUESTION: What color wire goes to the gear selector light? If I knew which wire goes to the gear selector, I can focus on this wire and maybe solve my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please reply to my e-mail address sdb123@charter.net
Thanks
Jim from N.E. Tn.
Old October 26th, 2010, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

thats a tough one.. someone posted PDFs of the connectors on the back of the radio on here a few weeks ago. id assume the same thing is available for the back of the cluster. that was helpful for me when finding the VSS wire.
That said, as far as i know, the problem in the cluster is not the wiring, it's a MOSFET transistor. They go in and out over time until eventually staying out. mine went from working perfectly to not working at all. parked, got out, came back, lights out.
every mechanic i have talked to has said the exact same thing- replace the transistor if you can locate it. One is for the gear selector, one is for the DIC (Driver Information Center).

if anyone has those wiring diagrams for the connectors on the back of the cluster, plz post.. but id assume you have more than a loose connection.
Old October 26th, 2010, 10:38 PM
CF Junior Member

RedOctober-
Please post the schematic. I was trained by USAF in electronic telephone switching equipment repair and can solder like a hobo picking up cigarette butts: fast and dirty.

I would love to fix my dead info display and shady PRNDL on my 07 Avalanche.
Old October 27th, 2010, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Red October.....thanks for the info on the guy that does the cluster repairs.
Old October 28th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by RedOctober
thats a tough one.. someone posted PDFs of the connectors on the back of the radio on here a few weeks ago. id assume the same thing is available for the back of the cluster. that was helpful for me when finding the VSS wire.
That said, as far as i know, the problem in the cluster is not the wiring, it's a MOSFET transistor. They go in and out over time until eventually staying out. mine went from working perfectly to not working at all. parked, got out, came back, lights out.
every mechanic i have talked to has said the exact same thing- replace the transistor if you can locate it. One is for the gear selector, one is for the DIC (Driver Information Center).

if anyone has those wiring diagrams for the connectors on the back of the cluster, plz post.. but id assume you have more than a loose connection.

I have not seen the back of the IP cluster or the circuit, but if you can access the transistor and if it has a heat sink on it you may be able to apply
(re-apply) a heat sink compound (thermal grease) to help transfer out the heat that is probably causing the intermittent on-off .
Just a tiny dab is all that is needed and to insure that if it has a heat sink that it is firmly attached....

heat and vibration are electronics worst enemy
Old October 28th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Here is a little tid-bit I found but it could totally unrelated but something to consider..

PRNDL Display
The IPC displays the selected gear position as determined by the ECM. The IPC receives a serial data message from the ECM indicating the gear position. The PRNDL display blanks if:

• The ECM detects a malfunction in the transmission range switch circuit.

• The IPC detects a loss of serial data communications with the ECM.
Attached Files

Last edited by in2pro; October 28th, 2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old October 28th, 2010, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

that is definitely relevant, and may lead to a solution for the ppl with the PRND321 gear selector lights out. but when both the gear selector and the DIC go out thats when its more than likely a mosfet transistor.
The following users liked this post:
Draxarian (June 28th, 2020)
Old October 29th, 2010, 8:19 AM
CF Junior Member

NE1 have a jethro- proof picture of where these transistors are so I can swap mine out?
I need my DIC to work again so I can figure out which TPMS is bad now.

Thank you!!!!

Quick Reply: 2007 Instrument Cluster Repair