Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2007 Instrument Cluster Repair

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

great info.
i'm betting $10 for the transistor?
Old January 18th, 2015, 7:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
great info.
i'm betting $10 for the transistor?
Don't recall the exact amount but it was under $4.00
Talked to the customer the other day, still working great.

SAYAL - NTE2975 - 1/18/2015 8:41:38 PM

Last edited by burhead1; January 18th, 2015 at 7:59 PM.
Old January 20th, 2015, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the info! Ordered the part from Radio Shack online and have recieved it. Will post how it goes when I'm done.
Old January 27th, 2015, 12:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default Found problem

I took apart the panels, removed cluster, disassembled cluster down to the circuit board. I didn't see anything that looked bad or out of place. However right below the info display is "Q16" written on the circuit board, above it is a resistor I believe (guessing), with the cluster plugged in (bare) I lightly tapped and pressed on the surrounding parts on the board, the one above the "Q16" caused the info panel to work when pressed, I found it to be loose, a little solder and its 100% operational.
Cost me nothing to fix, was quoted over 600.00 for the repair. If anyone is interested, I'll post picsz
Old January 27th, 2015, 7:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rezzy805
I took apart the panels, removed cluster, disassembled cluster down to the circuit board. I didn't see anything that looked bad or out of place. However right below the info display is "Q16" written on the circuit board, above it is a resistor I believe (guessing), with the cluster plugged in (bare) I lightly tapped and pressed on the surrounding parts on the board, the one above the "Q16" caused the info panel to work when pressed, I found it to be loose, a little solder and its 100% operational.
Cost me nothing to fix, was quoted over 600.00 for the repair. If anyone is interested, I'll post picsz

Same one I had, but mine was burnt out. I tried to solder back on board and did not work as it had a nice melted hole in center, So I had to replace mine.
Old January 27th, 2015, 4:07 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Bad solder joints are the bane of electronics. ��
Old March 1st, 2015, 4:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default Cluster Fix - PRND321 and DIC display

rruelas has it going on! i followed his instructions, as well as youtube (
) for cluster removal, and this repair works perfectly! I had no displays at all, but now have both thanks to perfect pics/directions! The only thing I have to add is that there are 4 screws (star) to remove from the back of the cluster before unclipping the white part and separating to expose the board.
Old March 10th, 2015, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default alittle soder goes along way

rruelas fix definitely worked like a charm, alittle tape and some solder goes a long way. Worth the time and effort to save the 450$ it would have cost to replace the cluster.
Old March 11th, 2015, 8:05 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

dwaltonjr339 Welcome to the forum, thanks for taking the time to respond that the fix worked for you... its follow up like yours that makes forums work
Old March 16th, 2015, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default Instrument cluster failure

I wanted to take the time to sign up for the forum and thank everyone for the guidance on the Instrument cluster failure. I was able to disassemble mine thanks to the videos on youtube you referred me too. My problem was the bad solder and it looked just like the pictures. I bought a 25 dollar electric soldering gun, some electronic solder, and some flux and hit that joint with some heat. Didn't expect it to work but thought i'd go plug it up and make sure, and alas it works perfectly. Total time spent was about an hour, in fact I spent more time reading about the problem here than I spent fixing it. Thanks again guys, saved me some money for sure and I got a sweet new solder gun to boot.

Quick Reply: 2007 Instrument Cluster Repair