Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

HOW TO: Adding a back-up camera to an 07+ C\K SUV

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2010, 10:58 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage00
Yes, the wiper hose runs from the wiper motor location, then along the passenger side of the lift gate through to the rubber grommet on the top of the lift gate then to the center of the of the rear headliner. You can just locate the hole/leak and splice it off and connect the two ends or replace the hose.
Mine is leaking at the 90 degree exit grommet. Dealer says hose is part of lift gate harness. $165 plus tax and installation w/o power lift gate. I going into it and try a ****** hose repair fitting. What a crock. Must have been the same engineers that designed the 360's.
Old January 25th, 2010, 2:42 PM
CF Active Member

Smile

Just received good news. Body shop has a totaled Tahoe in his back lot and he is going to clip part out of the lift gate for me. Couldn't get any better.
Old January 26th, 2010, 9:39 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by JimJ
Mine is leaking at the 90 degree exit grommet. Dealer says hose is part of lift gate harness. $165 plus tax and installation w/o power lift gate. I going into it and try a ****** hose repair fitting. What a crock. Must have been the same engineers that designed the 360's.
I have a liftgate harness from 2009 Suburban that i replaced with a harness that was wired for a rear camera. PM if your interested.
Old February 10th, 2010, 4:50 AM
CF Beginner

Hey Shawnvw i sent you a pm concerning the factory bezel
Old August 15th, 2010, 12:50 PM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=

Good luck, and happy Modding
Shawnvw[/QUOTE] Do you know the programming code for a 07 Escalade that has had the factory nav, camera, and module added. It also didn't have rse (u42) but I want it enabled also because I'm adding screens and want to run them off the nav. My Escalade has been at the sealed for going on a month now fighting this camera issue. They have never done one before and I guess their pride won't let them call the techline for help. Please help me.
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:36 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Great thread!

Great thread.... I think I was first to install a kenwood camera on an 07 successfully and make an attempt to provide details on the installaton process . JK Just wanted to say great thread and HOW TO.
Old April 10th, 2012, 3:57 AM
CF Beginner

Hi...

You mentioned to grab ignition +12v from the pink wire in the BCM x12 (brown connector) but here is the problem:

What if I do not have a pink wire in my BCM brown connector? This should be in cavity 7 of the (X12) connector but that cavity is empty! Where else can I grab +12v ignition for a back up camera install?

Also, can I grab the reverse feed from anywhere in the BCM?

Thank you!
Old December 10th, 2016, 2:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BEZEL OEM Part Number - 19171824

Originally Posted by mirage00
Hi Shawn,

I can't seem to locate a part # for the camera bracket/bezel. GM doesnt seem to sell it alone it is part of the applique w/rv camera. How did you get yours for this installation and do you have a part#?

Thanks
I was able to find the Bezel only from a Chevy dealer this last week. OEM Part number is 19171824
it is black and has 4 posts that will go through the holes that you will drill through the Applique.... The bezel is black plastic ASA+PC tackling this for Christmas for my wife's 09 Burb LT putting in an aftermarket Pioneer Camera...
Old December 23rd, 2016, 8:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile bezel attachment for retrofit

Originally Posted by omandave
I was able to find the Bezel only from a Chevy dealer this last week. OEM Part number is 19171824
it is black and has 4 posts that will go through the holes that you will drill through the Applique.... The bezel is black plastic ASA+PC tackling this for Christmas for my wife's 09 Burb LT putting in an aftermarket Pioneer Camera...
So I finally started and finished the installation this past week. I have no idea how Shawn melted his bezel to the applique. My bezel had four long tapered posts that were about 3/16" in diameter and about an inch tall/long instead of the partially melted posts that come from a donor vehicle. I made a drilling hole pattern out an old 3" x 5" card and trimmed it down to match the bezels surface. this allowed me to transfer the hole pattern over to the applique for drilling. I cut a sizable rectangle out of the Applique to make space for the pioneer ND-BC8 camera. I replaced the camera's socket screws for pan head to allow for clearance inside of the Chevy bezel. anyway. instead of melting the posts to attach to the applique I used 4 electrical Wire Nuts. yes wire nuts. the tapered end of the posts bit nicely into the tapered wire nut threads. Tightened them down and they cinched the bezel's flat plastic right up to the applique. quite a snug fit. I then let the hot glue flow to lock everything in place. ( I added a skim coat of clear silicone between the bezel and the outside of the applique to keep water out. probably doesn't need it but I like to overkill the installation...)

One other thing, my four applique bolts spun like crazy. (AKA not coming off the normal way.) So after finding a you tube video of a guy repairing his applique bolts because someone literally had ripped the applique of of his Tahoe... I "ripped the applique off" of my own tailgate. The guy with the Tahoe showed how to JB-WELD the bolts back on but I thought this would not really be serviceable, the bolt is on the wrong side. (I am a mechanical engineer by trade, and so I thought... Hmmm, how dumb is it that the bolts are attached to the applique... and that whoever installed this thing at the factory used WAY TOO MUCH BLUE THREADLOCKER. like the entire length of the bolt. on all four bolts. )

So to make a long story longer..., on the applique, where the bolts slide into place... the top/flat of the bolt rests against a hefty sized flat of plastic material. (Back in my younger days, car stereo speakers often used "u clips" for nuts. the kind where the bolt went through the top of the "U-Clip" and then went through the material being fastened, and then lastly through the bottom side of the "U-clip" where the hole was smaller and it would catch the threads of your screw and sandwich it all together.) So I dremeled a little bit of th4 broken attach points off so that I could attach some U-Clip nuts onto the lower flange. Worked like a charm. Needless to say, I can now remove my bezel at will with a philips head screw driver and the 4 #10 screws that I installed into the U-Clips. perfectly tight, yet serviceable. the U-Clip has a thread locking capablity too... Bonus.

anyway, the 30 foot harness that came with the pioneer camera had maybe 4 inches of slack left after running the cable all the way to the head unit. Seems like it was meant to be.
Thanks Shawn for your write up that inspired me to try. This one counts as a success. Looks factory from the outside, and I have a happy wife. Just in time for Christmas, too. CHEERS!