Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

2000 chevy tracker rear wheel seized after speed bump

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2012, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 chevy tracker rear wheel seized after speed bump

Rear wheel seized on drivers side. I Rolled over a speedbump then clanking sound and rear wheel drivers side stopped turning. Did new brake cylinder and shoes recently on this side. I Believe its only the drivers side because it only left drag marks on the drivers. At first I thought the wire coat hanger holding up my exhaust gave out but there appears to be no exhaust obstruction on either the driveshaft or the rear axle. My Tracker has the 2.0 engine. I still wasn't parked far enough into the parking spot when it seized a so I put it in reverse, moved back a bit went forward again and got another six inches. Vehicle does have 206000 miles on it, and has a manual transmission if that matters. I'm just really trying to figure out what's wrong so I can go get the parts.

BTW I already thought about the e-brake we didn't put the spring and lever back into the drum brake when we put the new shoes on, so E-brake has not been active on this wheel for a few months
Old October 17th, 2012, 5:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

Take off the wheel and check out the brake shoes and springs. Sounds like something broke or came loose in there.
Old October 17th, 2012, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks bud, thats been my slowly developing theory glad to hear I was headed in the right direction
Old October 17th, 2012, 9:50 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the brakes fell apart. Take the drum off and look.
Old October 20th, 2012, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys for the help I opened it up and either something was loose and they where not adjusted all the way, or a rock got in there and altered the way the brakes function because it shredded a section off of my drum and completely destroyed my new shoes.... at least the new wheel cylinder stayed in tact. The ridge on the backing plate got bent almost flat in some spots I am wondering if I need a new backing plate.