Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

OBD Signals available from 1999 & 2000 MY vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2018, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD Signals available from 1999 & 2000 MY vehicles?

I am more vested in OBD-II vehicles than I have ever been and I need a good scan tool to make my life easier and more efficient. However, it is very clear that you should not purchase any scan tool. Too many are made and all them do exactly what you want them to do. So far I like BlueDriver for low cost performance but, it does not appear to feature EGR real time data. Higher end units from Autel look good but, I prefer to sty away from the $1k level if I can.

I am hoping someone here can tell me what signals are made available in freeze frame and Mode $06. I must have these...a code reader is not worth the cost to me. If I can afford it I also want the ability to be to control a power train actuator with the scan tool/diagnostic/analyzer.

Thank you.
Old April 21st, 2018, 3:31 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I have an actron, if you want abs, transmission, body codes, you will have to spend more than I did.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

The primary thing we need to know is what PIDs are supported by the manufacturer. If a PID is not supported by Suzuki (presumably they developed controller software not GM) for a given model year there is no hope of observing it in any diagnostic scan tool
Old April 22nd, 2018, 6:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if you want a system that can do everything that the factory scan tool can do....go to autoengiuity.com. best system for the money. updates are cheap.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 8:46 PM
CF Beginner

They were on my list but, it does not appear that my "Suzuki's" fall under their GM coverage from the information published on their website. I contacted them for a direct answer to see what they can tell me. Another good point about this tool is that they have good coverage for my wife's Civic. It is also good to learn their updates are lower in cost but, I have will need to discuss this with their staff to understand this better. Way too much buyer beware in this market.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

did not know they did not cover suzuki.
i have a launch c-reader 7 scan tool i use for used vehicles purchases. Its pretty good. check out their site. check out the c reader series. c reader professional series are about $300.
Launch Tech USA ? Create Change
Old April 23rd, 2018, 8:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Blue Driver...for a start.

Originally Posted by RVan
I am more vested in OBD-II vehicles than I have ever been and I need a good scan tool to make my life easier and more efficient. However, it is very clear that you should not purchase any scan tool. Too many are made and all them do exactly what you want them to do. So far I like BlueDriver for low cost performance but, it does not appear to feature EGR real time data. Higher end units from Autel look good but, I prefer to sty away from the $1k level if I can.

I am hoping someone here can tell me what signals are made available in freeze frame and Mode $06. I must have these...a code reader is not worth the cost to me. If I can afford it I also want the ability to be to control a power train actuator with the scan tool/diagnostic/analyzer.

Thank you.
Maybe start with the Blue Driver. I bought one and it helped with a couple of fixes. Plus, you can just leave it plugged in and drive around to get sampling data. I use it with a tablet just so I can have a larger, readable display.
You could also go to a shop and let them extract the data you seek. I have been able to get some free checks for issues. Most of the time, the shop guys are good about helping, giving guidance and some history on similar issues they have experienced.
If you want more, it’s going to cost you. Ask yourself, is it worth the added cost to get minuscule data you might only use once?
Good luck!
Old April 24th, 2018, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Autoenginuity has some features but, not much. I was grateful their technician was willing to be straightforward regarding this.

The difficulty with these vehicles is that it is difficult (at this stage) to determine what Suzuki did and what GM did. Since both of mine wear the Chevrolet badge I suspect GM stepped up their program efforts. Regardless, what I need to look at is the gold standard for GM, the tech2. I worked on these when I worked at Vetronix. OTC tablet diagnostic tools also look good on paper in that they tell you what they offer. It appears these are a joint venture with Bosch.

BlueDriver is good but, I am not buying on speculation of coverage and I suspect I cannot control an EGR valve with their system.
Old April 24th, 2018, 8:18 PM
Super Moderator

only problem with buying a tech2...its obsolete for all gm's past 2014 and some as early as 2010 ie...all the CAN based global A architecture. great for the old stuff.

$300-$500 is probably what you be into a tech2. Make sure you don't need a different program card for suzuki. one is required for other gm offmakes ie saturn astra.