Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Radio Won't Turn Off

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2020, 7:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Won't Turn Off

Hi, I have a weird situation. When I turn off my Tracker the Radio doesn't turn off. The music and what not turns off but the clock stays on and the minute just changes rapidly. Even when the Tracker is running the clock does this. The hour doesn't change but the minutes just cycle through very fast and it goes on and on and on. I wouldnt really care because I only use it in the woods anyways but it kills my battery because it won't turn off so I have to disconnect my battery so it doesn't die. Anyone experience someone weird like this?

Thanks.
Old May 18th, 2020, 8:25 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

The UP button on the audio control is stuck.

Last edited by L84sky; May 18th, 2020 at 1:53 PM.
Old May 18th, 2020, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if that's the case. I dont think that explains how the clock continues to run while the vehicle is turned off and the keys are out of the ignition?
Old May 18th, 2020, 1:52 PM
CF Senior Member

The clock set function works even with no key in the ignition. Press and hold the UP button for two seconds and the clock will come and stay on as long as the button is held down. The minutes digits will count up continuously. It seems likely the switch behind the button is stuck in the ON position. I have no idea how to fix it. Tapping on the button may knock it loose. If you don't need the radio you could unplug it. The only sure fix is to replace it.
The following users liked this post:
Iltoys (January 22nd, 2021)
Old June 2nd, 2020, 7:57 AM
CF Senior Member

The original poster mentioned the clock display was draining his battery. I want to address that in more detail.

Inside the radio is a dimmer resistor. As drawn above the dimmer resistor is not electrically in the circuit. This is the default day-time (fully bright) mode of operation. The clock display is forced
into night mode (dim) when the radio's internal relay is energized. That only happens when the TAIL relay closes. Power is supplied to the top of the TAIL relay coil at all times but ground is
supplied only when the headlight switch is not in the OFF position OR the Ambient Light Sensor (ALS) closes its internal switches. Power is supplied to the ALS through the DEF fuse when
the ignition is ON. If the keys are out of the ignition the ALS cannot energize the TAIL relay. If at the same time the headlight switch is OFF the TAIL relay remains deenergized. That is why the
clock display remains in full-bright mode when the clock is being set (even in the middle of the night). That extra current draw is going to drain the battery faster if the clock-set button is being
held down. Note that the Headlamp and TAIL relays are independently controlled. Also note that the headlamp switch and the ALS are double-pole switches in parallel with each other. The
ground supplied at pin 1 of the DRL module is actually an inhibit signal to disable the 80% intensity resistor when the headlights are commanded ON. And lastly the connection at pin B5 of the
radio goes through the Tracker's IP dimmer control before going to ground on pin 4. That means in night-mode the clock display brightness can be varied from dim to completely dark but cannot
be adjusted to fully bright. It also means the IP dimmer control has no affect on the clock display in day-mode.

Last edited by L84sky; June 29th, 2021 at 7:24 PM.