Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Stopped running after 30 min of driving

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2019, 1:00 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

DO NOT CONNECT THIS SETUP TO YOUR CAR! The plug from your Tracker fuel rail is a "straight" metric thread. The plumbing parts you bought are "tapered" inch threads. No amount of Teflon tape is going to create a leak proof joint under pressure. You are going to set your car on fire trying to save $20. Get the correct adapter from Summit Racing.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm waiting for it...
Old April 2nd, 2019, 5:00 PM
CF Senior Member

A short primer on pipe threads
Below is an NPS (National Pipe Straight) thread. It is designed to screw all the way in until it the flat base seals against a gasket or O-ring (see the Summit Racing adapter). No Teflon tape is required.

The example below is an NPT (National Pipe Taper) thread. It is designed to tighten in the tapered threads of the female connector. The threads form the seal. Teflon tape is required. Straight and taper thread types are not compatible.

As far as I know all the threads on the Tracker are metric except the oil pressure switch shown below.
It's thread is IOS (International Organization of Standards) which turns out to be BSPT (British Standard Pipe Taper) whose threads are measured in inches.

A Google search found this adapter. With it I can connect an oil pressure gauge to my Tracker's engine block.

Old April 2nd, 2019, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

1. I now hate threaded component problems even more than i did a week ago.
  2. I am amazed at the depth of your knowledge.

Thank-you very much for your guidance!
Old April 3rd, 2019, 3:57 PM
CF Senior Member

I found an alternate pat number (09919-46010) for the fuel rail adapter. Now discontinued, it originally it sold for $35. One website I have purchased from before says they have a used one they will part with in exchange for $69. If nothing else it makes the Summit Racing adapter seem reasonably priced.

Last edited by L84sky; April 3rd, 2019 at 4:14 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

Heck, i would guess a backyard machine shop might become competitive!
Old April 13th, 2019, 6:17 AM
CF Senior Member

Are we making any progress?
Old April 13th, 2019, 1:31 PM
CF Beginner

I believe it was from some old James Bond film that they gave the people of Greece credit for the saying "Make haste slowly".

I sure do have the second part down fairly well.

Last weekend i went back to Advance Auto and found a really nice fitting to the one ordered from Summit. Problem is that i messed up what i needed on its other end.

Later today, as i already have the item, i am going over to ACE to see if i can find a 7/16 male to male union, with one side being 20 and the other 24 threads/in. If not, i found several companies online that specialize in adapters that i will revisit.

I promise i will post when i have progress!
Old April 13th, 2019, 7:07 PM
CF Senior Member

The end of my Harbor Freight fuel pressure hose looks like this.

It screws onto an 1/8" flair fitting. The flair fitting shown below is called a Schrader valve but that's not required for your adapter.

You can find flair fittings at Lowe's.

The 1/4" male flair fitting fits the Harbor Freight hose.

The $2 half-union below is what you want. The 1/4" flair end goes in the pressure gauge hose.

The 1/4" MIP end fits in the $4 coupling you are also going to buy a Lowe's.

Now you just have to connect the other 1/4" FIP end of the coupling to the 1/8 NPT on the Summit racing adapter.

Luckily for you the adapter for that is already included in the Harbor Freight fuel pressure kit.

Last edited by L84sky; April 13th, 2019 at 7:31 PM.