TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Check engine light came on today

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2007, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light came on today

lately Ive been hearing what sounds light the engine fan roaring louder when I take off from a stand still. doesnt seem to be giving any drive problems though. But today the check engine light has come on. I have a 2005 Trailblazer. 40,??? miles on it. does anyone have any ideas.

I dont know about any codes or were to check for them. Im new at having this Trailblazer. Thanx in advance.
Old October 9th, 2007, 2:05 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Check engine light came on today

Your nearby Autozone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly's Auto stores, and some others have code readers, and will help you at no cost. Just drop by one of the stores and tell them your check engine light is on and ask them to read the codes for you.
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

They sell those code readers too. But I took mine to Autozone and it read the "cooling fan module" was out. This was after the engine light was on and I had it diagnosed at a local repair shop and they told me it was the fan clutch that was "about to go out". They quoted a price of $1600 parts/labor. The fan clutch, they said, was $500. I bought one for around 200 and my brother helped replace it. It took us close to 2 hours. But the engine light was still on and that's when Autozone helped me out.

This new fan clutch fixed the rpm gauge problem too!!! It would go crazy sometimes and get stuck on gauge at 5, 6, or 7. Sometimes it would just go all the way (clockwise) and stay there for a few days. It would eventually work its way back to zero and work fine for a few days. THIS, I was told, could only be fixed by replacing the entire instrument panel at a rate of 800-1100 dollars.
I hope this helps some of you out.
Old December 16th, 2007, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds like your Fan Motor Clutch is failing. I had the same problem with my 2003 TB. When at idle, I noticed an intermittent ticking sound. Later, the clutch kept the fan motor active high and some people have refered to it as the "Lear Jet" sound. Since the fan is operating max speed, there is a sense of power loss and the engine light comes on. If you have done a search, the typical milage for failure is around 50K. The cost is around $500 for the dealer to fix. Although my TB was out of warranty when mine failed, I was able to convince my GM Dealer to repair it at no charge since I brought my TB in when it was still under warranty for the ticking noise and documented but the mechanic reported at the time there was no trouble found. Good luck...

Mel

Taylor, MI
Old March 10th, 2011, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

I realize this follow up post is coming years after the OP's information, but I think the following may still be relevant and helpful to anyone in need of a repair of their electro-viscous radiator fan clutch. I found the dealership pricing for the part(s) and labour just too much to bear, so I designed and crafted my own tool for the job and have posted how to make it and use the device to help expedite removing the old fan/clutch and installing a new one. Please visit my photobucket for the images and details.

I would appreciate a heads-up from the Admin/Mods on whether this is the proper place for this information... or if there is a more specific place for such technical/hardware work ups:

http://s557.photobucket.com/albums/ss19/60dgrzbelow0/TRAILBLAZER_2002/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ28

Thanks!

--==Bob==--

akas in other forums ...

"60dgrzbelow0" at www.60degreev6.com
"rsm93z28" at www.camaroz28.com