TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

strange noise from under the hood

Old October 17th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange noise from under the hood

loud grinding sound just while trying to start the truck
Old October 17th, 2018, 3:46 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starter drive?barely engaging or extending too far,worth a look,before you hurt ring gear
Old November 20th, 2018, 5:23 AM
CF Beginner

I am having a loud high pitched noise when engine is running, I replace Serpentine belt around two years ago... Thought it was Steering Pump going out even though there was no leak... Replace when might have shouldn't replace Steering Pump.... Still have loud sound, took and had Alternator checked at Advance Auto Parts... It checked out ok held a 14 volt charge even with a load on it.... So discussed with Advance guy that maybe its a pulley... So I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and could tell me what pulley was making this sound... Any help at all will be greatly appreciated ok...…
I do have one other problem I get at random times a warning light with a wrench and a line through it and car... When it happens until a shut down vehicle it want let me engage my track control... Someone said they thought it was some sensor in behind steering wheel.. Which cost $200 and $100 more for labor....Again any help with these issues will be greatly appreciated....

Thanks David D. BG KY
Old January 19th, 2019, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

I found out it was the throttle body making noise. Replaced it noise gone.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 6:27 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by geo1
Starter drive?barely engaging or extending too far,worth a look,before you hurt ring gear
I currently have the same problem. At first, it didn't make the noise at every start. Now it happens almost every time I start it. As mentioned above what should I look for? Or, should I go a head and take it to a garage? Is ring gear the flywheel gear? Can it be permanently damaged? My Trail Blazer has the 5.3 LS4 with 117k miles and runs great except for the starting issue.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 4:17 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.

Originally Posted by rgwiz
I currently have the same problem. At first, it didn't make the noise at every start. Now it happens almost every time I start it. As mentioned above what should I look for? Or, should I go a head and take it to a garage? Is ring gear the flywheel gear? Can it be permanently damaged? My Trail Blazer has the 5.3 LS4 with 117k miles and runs great except for the starting issue.
Replace the starter before it burns a hole through the ring gear (flywheel) that it is drilling into.
Old January 24th, 2019, 5:54 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Kazoocruiser
Replace the starter before it burns a hole through the ring gear (flywheel) that it is drilling into.
Thanks Kazoocruiser. Right after I posted, I ran it over to the shop. Wouldn't you know it didn't make the noise when I started it in my driveway. Same when the mechanic tried it. but then second try produced the screech and again the third time he tried it. That was yesterday and the new starter is going in today. He claims 3 to 4 hours work plus price of new Delco starter will total around $740 to $800. That's North Jersey labor rates and a new not rebuilt unit. Oh well, it's well worth it, like you say, before the flywheel gets ruined.
I love my TrailBlazer with the LS4 flex. It's a lot of fun to drive around town but gets decent MPG's on long trips. It has all the additional LT options with NAV, Bose, and the towing package for handling. Black on black, it's a keeper!
Old January 24th, 2019, 8:25 AM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.

Glad it's on its way to being fixed, but I live in the Bronx, so we're almost neighbors. I'm not going to second guess a private garage, but if they have a $15.00 minimum wage guy do the work, you will pay the light bill for the month.. I think the job in this horrible freezing weather is do-able against a warmed up engine.

Methinks a new solenoid could be installed, while the starter is still bolted up. That is a one-cup of coffee A.S.E. technical solution. You might ask them about that option. Be aware they might hate you if you do.

Or, you could send me a PM to explore some options you weren't aware of.

Last edited by Kazoocruiser; January 24th, 2019 at 8:41 AM. Reason: present tense correction
Old February 14th, 2019, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default Pulley replacements idler pulley and the other two on 4.2 I-6 06 Trailblazer.....

Originally Posted by Kazoocruiser
After getting pulleys replaced should quieten down.,, Always have pulleys checked cause when bearing in them becomes dry pulley could seze up....
Old March 20th, 2019, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Hi David,

I have had that loud whining sound for years whenever the engine is running. I just replaced the serpentine belt because it shredded. The dealer checked out my car and says the sound is coming from the alternator. Dealer wanted over $700 to replace it. I ordered one online for $117 and watched YouTube video on how to do it. It looks pretty easy. You do not have to get under the vehicle. When I replace the alternator, I can let you know if the noise is gone.
What was the noise for you?

Search this Thread