TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Warranty option

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2014, 7:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty option

I have a 2004 Trailblazer with 109,000 miles on it and have an opportunity get an extended warranty for about 2700.00 that would be 4 years and 75,000 miles that would cover engine, transmission, 4x4 components, alternator, water pump, oil pump. Parts, labor, fluids, taxes. All for 100.00 deductible for any repairs. I can take 24 months to pay on it, or do 12, 18 months. The 24 months would cost 147.00 down, and 109.92 a month. No penalty to pay off early. Warranty can be transferred if I would sell it, or trade in. Can get a refund if needed also. Any thoughts would be great.
Old January 28th, 2014, 10:45 AM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

I would thoroughly check out the company that is offering this warranty. The warranty is only good for as long as the company is in business.
Old January 29th, 2014, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
I would thoroughly check out the company that is offering this warranty. The warranty is only good for as long as the company is in business.
Ok thanks, I did check with my dealer and it is a company that they use when selling used vehicles. It is on the better business bureau's list of top companies too so that is a good thing. I found out the total cost is 3035.00 for the warranty. Its not a lot per month but I hate to pay that much and then never need it. Then at the same time, if I do need it and do not have it then I am screwed.
Old January 29th, 2014, 8:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the only warranty I would buy is through gmpp.

I see all the other ones come in and they are limited in what they cover. Read through the contract...there will be 2 pages of fine print. I've seen one customer buy a $1700 warranty package...then was pissed the next month when it wouldn't cover a $100 wheel speed sensor.

I have seen some warranty plans save the day when catastrophic failure occurs but this is uncommon.

Warranties are based on statistical data. Every part has thousands of hours of mean time to failure testing. The warranty is set to expire well before the fail time. Its like gambling against the house, the odds are in there favour. How lucky do you feel?

What kind of vehicle is it? What is its primary usage?
Old January 29th, 2014, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the only warranty I would buy is through gmpp.

I see all the other ones come in and they are limited in what they cover. Read through the contract...there will be 2 pages of fine print. I've seen one customer buy a $1700 warranty package...then was pissed the next month when it wouldn't cover a $100 wheel speed sensor.

I have seen some warranty plans save the day when catastrophic failure occurs but this is uncommon.

Warranties are based on statistical data. Every part has thousands of hours of mean time to failure testing. The warranty is set to expire well before the fail time. Its like gambling against the house, the odds are in there favour. How lucky do you feel?

What kind of vehicle is it? What is its primary usage?
Its a 2004 chevy trailblazer, 109,750 miles on it. Its a daily driver to work and wherever else I need to go. It runs good, I do all the maintenance and oil changes. Run Synthetic oil. Tranny fluid change 2 years ago. The company is American Guardian warranty svs. I spoke with my buddy who is a service manager at a GM dealer. He did say that they are one of the ones that they sell to the customers that want a warranty. They are reputable as far as paying for the repairs. Just not sure I want to pay 3035.00 for something I may not use. I guess that is why they call it insurance, dont need until you need it. I suppose i can just roll the dice and drive it till the wheels fall off or the engine blows. The warranty is said to cover engine, tranny, 4x4 components. Alternator, water pump, oil pump. Parts, labor, fluids. Taxes. 100.00 deductible on repairs.
Old January 30th, 2014, 6:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

like health insurance companies, warranty providers are in it to make money. Good luck on what ever you decide.
Old January 30th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't know the cost of your ext warranty, but what you will need to look at is lets say it cost $1800 a year... if you don't use it in that time you have just given up $1800. If you were to put that $1800.00 away in a "vehicle repair" fund account and still don't use it at the end of the year, you have $1800.00...
If you use it, the likelihood of a given repair being more then $2200 is not likely... maybe transmission or 4x4 components... they are betting it won't fail, you are betting it will...
Old January 30th, 2014, 6:39 PM
CF Beginner

Talking

Originally Posted by in2pro
I don't know the cost of your ext warranty, but what you will need to look at is lets say it cost $1800 a year... if you don't use it in that time you have just given up $1800. If you were to put that $1800.00 away in a "vehicle repair" fund account and still don't use it at the end of the year, you have $1800.00...
If you use it, the likelihood of a given repair being more then $2200 is not likely... maybe transmission or 4x4 components... they are betting it won't fail, you are betting it will...
Thanks for your input, and I hadnt really thought about it in that way except that if would cost more than 3000.00 for a new engine I already checked on the price. Plus considering all the labor. But I think that I will just try and save my money and take my chances with my truck. I do whatever I can to take care of it so that it runs well. There are many vehicles on the road that have many more miles than mine and still running so I think my odds are probably good that I wont need it. I have only had one other vehicle tank out on me in the past and it was a Ford Explorer that I should have never purchased, the previous owner beat it to death and I made a bad decision at the time. Funds were low and needed a vehicle. So here's to another 100,000 miles of driving.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 9:05 PM
CF Active Member

The motors in these are pretty stout and with good maintenance (timely oil changes at 6000 miles or less ) it should go 200000 miles without a problem. tranny's are more likely to fail than the I6 . Same goes for that fluid and filter changes at 70000 miles will extend those also . With these it will be the smaller stuff , like ignition switches , clusters on earlier models etc..
Old April 3rd, 2014, 6:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by vipergg22
The motors in these are pretty stout and with good maintenance (timely oil changes at 6000 miles or less ) it should go 200000 miles without a problem. tranny's are more likely to fail than the I6 . Same for that fluid and filter changes at 70000 miles will extend those also . With these it will be the smaller stuff , like ignition switches , clusters on earlier models etc..

Thanks for your feedback. I have not made the purchase of the warranty and feel I made the right decision. The truck does well and will just see how long I can make it last.