Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

Dealership refuses to diagnose control module codes

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2019, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor customer service

Originally Posted by tech2
they handled it appropriately.

when something is under warranty and you tell a customer there is no fault; they get pissy....the same concern, when its customer pay...they are happy. weird dynamic.
Low level service people think that way. Business people realize the value of providing good customer service. Customers will go back to a shop that doesn't treat them like "pissy" customers.
Old November 23rd, 2019, 3:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by John Cossey
Low level service people think that way. Business people realize the value of providing good customer service. Customers will go back to a shop that doesn't treat them like "pissy" customers.
successful shops don't want customers who come for only for free service. they want customers who don't mind paying for proper diagnosis. Do you work for free in your job? I make money for my employer fixing cars...not sitting on the phone walking someone thru a home repair. I could lose 2 hour a day being pulled of jobs. MAKE AN APPOINTMENT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.

I would love for you to tell me how this should have been handled.
The vehicle has no dtc or active symptoms....begin...

Last edited by tech2; November 23rd, 2019 at 4:06 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2019, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Easy enough. If you would pull you head out for a second you would read that he had his vehicle in the shop for other service. So he is ALREADY a paying customer. The codes should have been pulled as a courtesy. Telling him the codes doesn't mean he's going to run out and DIY the fix. It gives the shop the opportunity to sell a further diagnosis, quite possibly a repair, and earn a life long PAYING customer. This has nothing to do with sitting on the phone and giving anything free. Read his comment further and you will see that he now feels he needs to go to ANOTHER shop. Bingo... lost sale - lost opportunity.,. You think you're saving the owner of the shop money but you are actually costing money and customers. If you worked in my shop I'd fire your *** in a heart beat.
Old November 23rd, 2019, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

i'll go back and re-read the entire original 3 year old post.

lets play it thru. the op have no mention of an actual fault. His concern is hexadecimal format codes from a cheap aftermarket scan tool. Its a format issue from the crappy scan tool you moron (I don't mean the op...you, john cossey are the moron). No actual fault codes are set in the vehicle. . No fault codes, no ses light and no symptom. What should they fix? Your suggestion will get him a no fault found and a bill for diagnostic time.

This isn't a restaurant or a hardware store with hourly paid employees. do you even know what flat rate is?

Last edited by tech2; November 23rd, 2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old November 24th, 2019, 2:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 614 Likes on 555 Posts

This is pretty pointless discussion considering the OP hasn't posted in 3 years.

For the record $7EB, $7EA and $7E8 are not trouble codes. They are simply identifiers for the transmission and fuel pump modules. ($7E8 is just a generic broadcast ID). Seeing these IDs simply means that that these modules are present and connected on the vehicle data bus (a good thing). Nothing more.
Old August 7th, 2020, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default They aren't PCM codes

Originally Posted by Josh Kahn
Hoping someone here might be able to help shed some light on a potential issue. I bought a certified traverse back in April and the vehicle has been back to the shop for servicing about a dozen times since, mostly with electronic-related issues, but the dealership insists there is no underlying problem. I recently had the OBD port scanned and, lo and behold, three control module codes came up: $7EB, $7EA and $7E8. The dealership insists that this is perfectly normal and is refusing to diagnose it even though my car is still covered under the one-year bumper to bumper warranty. They say its not a problem unless the check engine light comes on. Does this sound legit?
They aren't codes. $7Ex are modules. The $7E8, as I recall are engine control modules, the $7E9 is a, transmission module. You can go from there to figure out the others.

Last edited by MicheleTroseneni; August 7th, 2020 at 2:55 PM. Reason: Clarification