Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

broken remote

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2009, 7:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default broken remote

2006 LT does anyone no if my broken remote will be covered under my 12/12,000 GM certified warranty
Old November 29th, 2009, 7:10 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What do you mean by "broken" ?? Did it just quit working or did you drive over it ?
Old November 29th, 2009, 7:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default broken remote

just stopped working yesterday replaced the battery a couple weeks ago worked fine then just stopped working yesterday opened it up and part of the battery clip is broken away from the electronic board
Old December 11th, 2009, 9:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen. After you've dropped or shaken your remote fob so many times, it eventually breaks loose the battery prongs from the circuit board foils. It's an easy/quick repair; take the fob apart, remove its battery, secure its circuit board onto a static-electricity free work table or ESD (Electro-Static-Dissipative..recommended especially in the dry winter air) mat (electronics repair techs use these mats to prevent possible damage to any board components), reposition the battery clip's prongs into the board eyelets and resolder the prongs to the board using regular lead-containing eutectic or 60/40 solder. These are small contacts, so the solder pencil or gun should be about 25 Watts or less. Reassemble, install the battery (after testing it for 3Volts....replace it with a fresh battery if it's less than about 2.9Volts). No re-programming should be needed. I expect that most GM dealers may not want to do this re-soldering repair....but it's cheaper than buying new fobs, unless they'll spring for new fob's on your warranty. It takes only a few minutes to do the repair....what takes time is finding your solder & soldering pencil. My resoldering repair assumes the battery clip prongs are still on the clip and not broken off, remaining in the circuit board....if they are, visit your local dealer and they often have returned/broken/dead fob's like yours you can take good clips from.

Last edited by fscoles; December 11th, 2009 at 9:33 PM. Reason: To add more information.
Old December 12th, 2009, 6:59 AM
CF Beginner

Smile remote

they replaced under warranty went to jennings chevy
Old January 17th, 2010, 2:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fob Repair

Amoung the numorus problems with this vehicle, one of them has been with the fob's. They would work about half the time so I opened one of them up and found that the leads that are soldiered to the circuit board had come loose. While I was waiting for my iron to heat up for repairs, I Googled the problem and found it to be pretty common, go figure. A quick dab of soldier and all is good. About 6 weeks later, the wife start complaining that its not working anymore. So i take it apart again and find that all contact are still in place so I start probing around with a volt meter and everything appears to be good. I take a jumper wire and make contact between + and - where on of the buttons and the door opens. So I start looking at the back of the membrane and it looks like the ink that makes contact is almost gone. Even on the panic button that never gets used. That tells me it was never built properly in the first place. I opened up an old alarm system keypad I had laying around and pulled the rubber pad out of it and with a razor blade shaved off a layer from the back side of one of the buttons. Glued it to the inside of my membrane and it worked like a champ. I did this for all buttons on both fobs and they have worked great every since. Don't pay the $85 dollars to replace it if yours stops working. Open the fob up and jumper across on of the buttons and see if it opens the door or lock. If so, look at picking up a conductive ink pen at Radio Shack for about $12 and color the back side of the buttons again.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default Key Fob Repair

Good job shilliard. I work at a car dealership and we found the same problem with the remotes that you describe. The buttons actually wear out on the inside. Some buttons would work and others wouldn't, and the battery and everything looked good. We used foil and conductive ink to try to fix the buttons, but they would eventually wear off or fall off. Now we just use the button repair pad that keylessfix makes. No mess, and they are super easy to put in and they are really cheap. Lots of dealerships around here use those pads for the GM remotes. I don't know if links are allowed here (i'm sure admin will delete if they aren't :P ) but this page basically told us how to solve any issue with the GM remotes http://www.keylessfix.com/keylessfixcom/techsupport.htm Its really handy.
Old May 8th, 2010, 4:09 PM
CF Active Member

Our also had same problem on our 09 uplander. After taking it to the dealer it broke 2 days later. I took it apart and found the 3 tabs to hold the battery loose. I fixed it myself with solder. Work perfect now. The desing is very weak on this battery holder. I am sure that the one that desinged this clip was not all there when he made it.I am just waiting for our second remote to fail before I fix it. It is a nuisance. Supposed you push accidently on the alarm of your remote button and it stop working because of this bad desing what do you do to shut of your alarm if the remote quit at that time when there are tons of peoples around you? You realy feel embarrassed.
Old May 9th, 2010, 2:29 AM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy Uplander Fix

After replacing the front end 3 time under warranty, 3 sets of tires in 3 years, electric cooling fan 2 times, in the shop 5 times because the doors would lock and unlock, radio reboot, and cruise control shut off while driving down the road (never was repaired), a/c repaired once, in the process of running an oil consumption test, key fobs stopped working, and 3 times because passenger side sliding door would not shut properly (never fixed) I finally found someone who fixed all issues with this vehicle in one visit. It was the FORD dealer that paid me what I owed on that thing when I traded it in on an Explorer. I had another GM vehicle that didn't have near the issues that the Uplander had but was still a huge pain in my back side. I have an 02 F250 with over 175K on it, a 99 Expedition with 233K on it, and now the Explorer, have had it about 3 months, and not a bit of trouble out of any of them other than general repairs like a starter or an alternator.