Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

dvd - disk format error message

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2012, 11:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dvd - disk format error message

We bought a used 07 uplander and dvd player did not work. The rear speakers also did not work when playing the radio via dash controls. Tonight while cleaning, I pulled the dvd player off the ceiling thinking maybe a dvd was stuck in the player. Found the cable was unplugged! Plugged the cable in and put back dvd player on ceiling. Turned on van to see what happened and quickly saw lights on the dvd player! Unfortunately, I ran the battery down by having doors open and interior lights on.

We jumped the van but had trouble. First, it honked when turning the key to start, then van started flashing lights. Finally, we got the van started and let it run for 5-10 minutes.

The dvd lights came on, so put a dvd in it. Dashes started going across screen, saw the play button, then Disk Format Error flashed on screen. Put dvd in right side up and upside down but it gave same message. Tried 4 other dvds, one copyrighted 1999 but could not get any to play and got the Disk Format Error each time.

Strangely enough, a CD will play in the dvd player but could not advance through songs. Button acted like it didn't want to work. Back speakers also work now!

Tried to check to see if dvd format is set to PAL or NTSC(?) but menu button doesn't appear to work. Other buttons do work on dvd player except intermittent problem with titles.

Checked fuses and they are good.

Could the low battery and problems charging the van cause problems with dvd player? Someone said to turn radio off, disconnect battery, wait 1 min., reconnect, and turn on radio. Scared to try for fear will need a code for radio to play and don't have.

Any ideas on dvd player fix would be great. Thank you.
Old November 6th, 2012, 5:17 AM
CF Beginner

Default Static

We finally disconnected the battery but it did not fix the disk format error. It now has static in the screen and is hard to read. Any ideas?
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Uplander
We bought a used 07 uplander and dvd player did not work. The rear speakers also did not work when playing the radio via dash controls. Tonight while cleaning, I pulled the dvd player off the ceiling thinking maybe a dvd was stuck in the player. Found the cable was unplugged! Plugged the cable in and put back dvd player on ceiling. Turned on van to see what happened and quickly saw lights on the dvd player! Unfortunately, I ran the battery down by having doors open and interior lights on.

We jumped the van but had trouble. First, it honked when turning the key to start, then van started flashing lights. Finally, we got the van started and let it run for 5-10 minutes.

The dvd lights came on, so put a dvd in it. Dashes started going across screen, saw the play button, then Disk Format Error flashed on screen. Put dvd in right side up and upside down but it gave same message. Tried 4 other dvds, one copyrighted 1999 but could not get any to play and got the Disk Format Error each time.

Strangely enough, a CD will play in the dvd player but could not advance through songs. Button acted like it didn't want to work. Back speakers also work now!

Tried to check to see if dvd format is set to PAL or NTSC(?) but menu button doesn't appear to work. Other buttons do work on dvd player except intermittent problem with titles.

Checked fuses and they are good.

Could the low battery and problems charging the van cause problems with dvd player? Someone said to turn radio off, disconnect battery, wait 1 min., reconnect, and turn on radio. Scared to try for fear will need a code for radio to play and don't have.

Any ideas on dvd player fix would be great. Thank you.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Uplander,

The Disc Format Error message will display if a disc is inserted upside down, if the disc is not readable, or if the disc format is not compatible.

If you continue to experience this issue, I recommend having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for additional assistance. They will be able to provide more information, and repair possibilities, after inspecting the vehicle.

If you need assistance finding a technician near you, please PM me your zip code.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 9th, 2012, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default Disk Format Error

Louis,
Thanks for you input. I would like to see if I can check the disk format settings to see if dvd player is set to PAL or NTSC. How can I do this? When pushing the Menu button, nothing happens. Thanks.
Old November 9th, 2012, 1:45 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Do you have the owners manual? It probably covers the player in it.
Old November 9th, 2012, 2:35 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I looked through the service information I had available and searched and only came up with this for the 07 Uplander

Check your RPO build codes in the glove box for the following, there is no guarantee thou they are listed I don't believe it is a user definable setting, it comes from the factory set... If you found something disconnected I suspect it was broke and someone else was also trying to fix it and gave up...

VFF
Video Format - Region 1, NTSC

VFJ
Video Format - Region 2, PAL

VFM
Video Format - Region 4, NTSC
Old November 12th, 2012, 8:09 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Louis,
Thanks for you input. I would like to see if I can check the disk format settings to see if dvd player is set to PAL or NTSC. How can I do this? When pushing the Menu button, nothing happens. Thanks.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Uplander,

I would be happy to look into this further for you. Would you please provide you VIN, so I may continue?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 15th, 2012, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default Format Code

The dvd code is VFF, so that looks like it should be right if the player wasn't switched out. The VIN is 1GNDV33187D164602. Thanks.
Old November 5th, 2014, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default disc format error

I have the same problem I've tried using a laser cleaner with no luck. Used canned air no luck...any help.
Old July 9th, 2016, 2:09 PM
CF Beginner

The dvd code is VFF, so that looks like it should be right if the player wasn't switched out. The VIN is 1GNDV33187D164602. Thanks.
Good afternoon!
Solve the problem? I appreciate if there is a solution, thanks!