Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

RSE DVD Format Error

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2010, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSE DVD Format Error

Hello,
I've searched the forum high and low for answers regarding the rear seat entertainment system for my 2008 Uplander. But, to no avail, have I found any answers. I bought the van used from a dealership in June, it was not certified (my mistake) but the dealership assured me that if any issues came up with the van within the first month, to let them know and they will help me. The DVD system worked when we bough the van, but a week or two after we bough it, the DVD system quit working. Any time I try to play a disc, the system kicks the disc out and reads "DVD Format Error" or "Cannot read format". I know from previous experience with DVD players, that a severely scratched or damaged DVD can cause this to happen. I put the same discs in my mother's '05 Envoy and they played with no problem. I put them in my uncle's '07 Uplander, and they played no problem. I put them in our home DVD player, and they played no problem. I've read that there is a way to switch what format the DVD player reads, but have not been able to do this on the system. I'm pretty peeved with the dealership because they will not help me at all, even though they said they would. I just won't buy or recommend anybody to buy from that dealership. I have two choices: 1. Go to a junk yard and pay about $400 for a used unit, with no warranty. 2. Have the unit repaired by a company in Holland, MI for $285 with a 3 month warranty. I'm opting for choice 2. Has anyone else had this issue with their RSE/DVD system, and what was the resolution. Thanks in advance!
Old September 6th, 2010, 8:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Sorry to hear about your problem. I have not had a single moments problem with many hours on my DVD system in my '05 Uplander. The entertainments systems seem to be very durable when they work properly and with a bit of care in handling.

Interesting that the player itself worked at the dealership and then won't work later.

It could be that the player somehow lost some its default settings. The possibility of a memory flash to reset the settings might be possible at the repair shop. Check to see what the repair shop is going to charge you in cost to diagnose the problem even if they can not repair the system. Perhaps the shop will give you some hints as to why the problem happened in the first place.

There are some great after market DVD systems now that can be installed in autos. Your repair costs on your present system could be a portion of the cost to a new system if you are so inclined.

I am intrigued by your problem. I will try to help you research this on the Web.
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:46 AM
CF Junior Member

I looked high and low all over the internet and could not find anything that related to the problem. Sorry. Hope you were able to resolve it without too much problems or cost.
Old February 10th, 2012, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Question Same problem.....

I have the exact...and I mean EXACT same issue as you. My dvd worked when I purchased my used uplander and within the second month, I started getting that error message. The weird thing is, sometimes disc works and sometimes it doesn't. But there isn't any consistency in the issues. Did you ever find an answer?
Old February 10th, 2012, 3:48 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Sandaholics,

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble with your DVD unit. I have researched this issue, however, there are no known DVD player issues for Uplander vehicles within my resources. I encourage you to take the vehicle in for an inspection. A certified technician should be able to offer a more accurate diagnosis after a physical inspection.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 21st, 2013, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 Uplander

Yeah, we also have the same problems with our 08. Only we purchased it used and realized it wasn't operating. I have gotten with our dealer and we have found several places who sell used, reconditioned, and after market replacement units. I'm still convinced it's a simple problem. I agree that it may be a programming issue, since our van sat and had to have the battery replaced because it was completely dead before we got it. I will let you know more as we get along on this today. I'm pulling the unit out and going through it myself. Looking for anything obvious.
Old January 29th, 2014, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Has anyone figured out what is causing this problem. I purchased a used 2008 uplander winter of 2012 when I had my twin girls. I never used the dvd player.While it was under warranty I check it and the player was malfunctioning and had several other radio issues. They replaced the radio and DVD system. Its been 13 months since they installed the new dvd and radio. The first time I stick a brand new dvd in the unit, it played 20 seconds and I get a disk format error! Its brand new with less than 1 minute of use.

Any help is appreciated.
Old February 11th, 2014, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

I know when your Xbox 360 quits reading discs, you can replace the laser and it is like having a new drive again. If some one knows the manufacturer of the DVD player maybe there would be replacement lasers for them. Maybe? I am getting tired of seeing this screen.

RSE DVD Format Error-20140211_210603.jpg
Old February 13th, 2014, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Called GM CS and I was told to take the truck into the dealership. The service manager told me that when they replace the DVD players they are not brand new but refurbished units. Because they replaced it a yr ago the are putting in another one.
Old July 9th, 2016, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

Good afternoon!
Solve the problem? I appreciate if there is a solution, thanks!

Quick Reply: RSE DVD Format Error