Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Replaced DVD Player, no audio from rear speakres

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2012, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced DVD Player, no audio from rear speakres

Hey guys, I've done my fair share of electrical in cars when it comes to audio. But this one has me puzzled. My aunt asked me to replace the DVD player in her 2006 Uplander with one she bought from some place online (I do not remember where). It does not automatically hook up to stock wiring harness from the original DVD player. After finding which pin supplied power in the stock wiring harness, I used that pin for power for the new DVD player, that way I didn't have to butcher the stock harness if she would ever want to go back to an original DVD player. After hooking up the new DVD player, the rear speakers no longer work. I spoke with a Chevy dealer around here and they said there is no relay inside the stock DVD player (which was my assumption from the get-go). I checked the radio head-unit and the fade from F-R is right in the middle. Even did full R and still no audio from the rear speakers. Checked all the fuses, and none blown. Anyone have any idea why the rear speakers would stop working with a different DVD player? I haven't been able to find anything online as far as what may cause it.

The new DVD player runs through radio waves, so she just tunes the head unit to the same wave the new DVD player is on and it will play the audio from the DVD player. Highly doubt that makes any difference, but trying to give as much info as I can to get this issue diagnosed.

Thanks in advance!
Old October 26th, 2012, 3:32 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...

Being its a broadcast signal it could be that its only sending out a single channel and the receiver doesn't know better to send the signal out to all channels...

I'm guessing all speakers work correctly with the radio...
Old October 27th, 2012, 5:34 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum...

Being its a broadcast signal it could be that its only sending out a single channel and the receiver doesn't know better to send the signal out to all channels...

I'm guessing all speakers work correctly with the radio...
Unforunately, no. From what I am aware of, the radio and DVD player only play through the front speakers. I did not test a CD, so I am not sure if a CD would play through the rear or not. My first thought was that I just popped a fuse when trying to find the power pin in the original DVD harness, but I checked those and all were good.
Old October 27th, 2012, 8:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does the radio itself play through the rear speakers?
If the radio doesn't play through the rear speakers I wouldn't expect the DVD to play either .....
Old October 28th, 2012, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
Does the radio itself play through the rear speakers?
If the radio doesn't play through the rear speakers I wouldn't expect the DVD to play either .....
Nope, nothing at all plays through the rear speakers. I was told the rear speakers worked up until replacing the DVD unit. She tells me that the rear speakers haven't worked ever since the DVD unit was replaced. The only wires that were touched was the harness for the stock DVD player (but no wires were ever cut from that harness). Can't see why that would cause the rear speakers to stop working. I'm going to try and make a trip to her house Tuesday to run a multi-meter on the rear speakers to see if they're even getting power.