Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

04 no start when hot

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2019, 4:37 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

tech do these have the clear floor mode? thought that was something gm did in the 90s? not saying it doesnt but im still learning
Old March 31st, 2019, 6:15 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
tech do these have the clear floor mode? thought that was something gm did in the 90s? not saying it doesnt but im still learning
Tech2 is a working modern vehicle technician. I'd trust his advise. When I was in school to become a tech, carburetors were still in use and electronic ignition was "the new thing", not ECM's like now.

Most cars back then used a point and condenser ignition system and some cars would need points every couple of months, or at least to be cleaned and reset with a points gauge. My fathers old 1969 C-60 366 cubic inch V8 medium duty truck needed new points every month as it was working 5-6 days a week in lots of dust, so new air filters as well.

He made lots of $$$ for the local Chevrolet dealer that my old man bought that truck brand new truck from. Had a canister oil filter, so we used AC Delco filters only. Five speed stick with an electric two-speed axle that you could split into 10 speeds. Those were the good old days.
Old March 31st, 2019, 11:35 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

dont get me wrong i wasnt questioning his knowledge but actually more detail, as it when it started and if its still used toady or when gm did stop or if any other manufacture used it also
Old April 1st, 2019, 6:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

to my knowledge they all have it.
although flooding is rare with modern fuel injection...it can happen (used to see it on cold winter days when people jockey cars in the parking lot...start it cold...move it, shut it off right away, move it again, repeat and flood.

when its a cold start up its blasting a rich mixture using set programming as the 02 sensors aren't working yet....its in open loop operation so the pcm has no feedback on how rich the mixture is.

Last edited by tech2; April 1st, 2019 at 6:20 PM.
Old April 24th, 2019, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got around to fixing this issue. I didnt need to drive the van for a few weeks. I decided to replace the fuel pump. I thought it was a vapor lock and the check valve in the pump could be faulty. The fuel gauge was not acting right and it does have 246,000 miles in the van so I can justify $225 on a pump. I am the service manager for a garbage hauling company so i took it to work and put the van up on the lift, an hour later i had it in and engine running. I have driven for over a week and it start everytime now, the fule gauge is acting as it should and runs down the road great. I truly think the check valve in the pump was not allowing gas to return to tank and vaporizing. Just thought i would pass this along. I also replace the fuel filter while i had it in the air.
Old March 31st, 2023, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2004 chevy venture van flooding when sets for <30 min

Originally Posted by Todd Fuller
I finally got around to fixing this issue. I didnt need to drive the van for a few weeks. I decided to replace the fuel pump. I thought it was a vapor lock and the check valve in the pump could be faulty. The fuel gauge was not acting right and it does have 246,000 miles in the van so I can justify $225 on a pump. I am the service manager for a garbage hauling company so i took it to work and put the van up on the lift, an hour later i had it in and engine running. I have driven for over a week and it start everytime now, the fule gauge is acting as it should and runs down the road great. I truly think the check valve in the pump was not allowing gas to return to tank and vaporizing. Just thought i would pass this along. I also replace the fuel filter while i had it in the air.
I too have a 2004 chevy venture van that floods when It is at operating temperature and sets for less than 30 minutes. It will try to start and spit and sputter and then you try to ease the gas to it and it will cut off. Generally has to set about 45 minutes before it will start up. As others, I have replaced the fuel pressure regulator and the ambient air temperature sensor. Have had the van about 3 years and it has done this ever since I purchased it. I have one but haven't checked the fuel pressure on it yet. But I can romp down on the gas pedal going down the road and it doesn't act like there is a lack of gas. On up to 70 MPH. DID replacing that fuel pump permanently fix your van?

Last edited by stanjacobs; March 31st, 2023 at 7:20 PM.
Old April 1st, 2024, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2004 Venture

Originally Posted by Todd Fuller
I have searched through the many great threads on this forum for an answer. I see a few have had this but no one has responded. I have a random no start when engine is hot. I drive it to temp, go in a store for <30 and I get a crank no start condition. I I have put in a new fuel pressure regulator and that worked for about three days. A new pcv valve and tube with new grommet and hoses, that worked for a few days. I found a damaged (not completely broken) whit wire on my TPS I replaced the connector to that and again for about 2 days no problems. I cleaned all fuel management sensors and connectors and no change there. I connected my scan tool and no issues found. Could this be a vapor lock situation? Will replacing fuel pump help this? I will check to see if spark is present the next time it wont start.. Will an cam or crank sensor go bad with out throwing a code?
I had so many problems with my 2004 Venture that I wound up selling it. I finally got rid of it when it developed a head gasket leak. My 1994 Chevy s10 hasn't caused nearly as much grief and it has 227 thousand miles on it.